All,

I have a friend who is looking for a good guitar teacher for her
daughter. I think she is looking for instruction on just playing songs
verses a lot of theory. Any advice on how to go about finding a good
teacher and what to look for?

Thanks!

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Hello and welcome to GN. There are several good articles on the homepage about Choosing a Teacher. Here is a link to one of them.

Choosing a Teacher

My personal advice would be this. Your friend and her daughter need to sit down and define what her goals are as far as playing. Then search for an instructor that understands her goals and can provide her with a plan to help her reach them.

Just from my own experience I have found that the better defined your goals are, the easier it is to find an instructor that can help you reach them.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@bb-bill)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks much for the advice and pointer to the site!
Btw - I really like your quote.

ReplyQuote
(@thelonius)

Here are some of the things that I look for and ask about.

1) What kind of music does the teacher enjoy and who are their influences. - Sure, a lot fo the teachers out there can teach anything. But it's funny, though I've rarely ever met anyone who didn't say they liked all kinds of music, few of them really do. I want an enthusiastic and inspiring teacher, and try as they might a guy who is heart and soul into Jazz or classical fingerpicking isn't going to be the best guy to teach me shred or country guitar.

2) What is his motivations for teaching. This is kind of hard to be specific on. It is more of a feeling the teacher out sort of thing. Basically I hear time and time again a teacher can teach all ages, and why would a teacher have problems with anyone? a paying customer is a paying customer. If that was true why have I met so many teachers who have an attitude because I'm a middle aged man just getting started with a guitar, or teachers who have issues with a total beginner having really nice equipment. No I didn't buy that LP just to be better than you.

3) What is the teachers concept of what being dedicated to the guitar means? Guitar teachers are much like college professors. Some think their class is the only commitment you have in your life and you should be able to spend 5 hours a night on their homework. Anything short of that, why even bother being there. Others though realize you have families, school, kids, a job, etc. and even though you can only give them 30 minutes a night, you are still pasionate about learning it.

ReplyQuote