Clear all

Agathis

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@shinzou)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, i just wanted to know what your opinions on using Agathis as the body material for a solid body guitar. I'm just wondering what the sound qualities are, etc. I tried looking on various sites but don't get much out of them so any info would help. Thanks!

lemoned i scream

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

From a botanical site:

"Many species of Agathis are listed by the WCMC as vulnerable or endangered and in decline. The WCMC list notes that "Agathis species are distinctive, highly sought and exploited for their valuable timber."

"Due to its relative scarcity and premium value, it has now been largely logged out"

"In contrast to most other good-sized conifer genera, most species of Agathis form large trees; many species are the largest trees found in their respective forest ecosystems."

If pointless deforestation is your thing, go for it . . . if you already own the wood, it seems like a good material. If you're going to be putting your money into the economy thus creating a demand for an endangered wood, it's a bad idea.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ibanez uses agathis on some of its lower to mid priced models, so there must be some species of this wood that are not endangered, and also appropriate for a guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Ibanez uses agathis on some of its lower to mid priced models, so there must be some species of this wood that are not endangered, and also appropriate for a guitar.

Yeah, I think its in the same range as poplar and maybe alder, but if what King said is true, I wouldn't do it, but thats my view on the world, not guitar. And no, I'm not some crazy tree hugger.. 8) :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I believe Agathis is abundandly available in Indonesia...

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

If you decide to use a different solid body wood, I hope this can help you out

Its a guide to a number of different types of guitar woods, and theyre qualities

http://www.tonosity.com/Detail/Editorial.aspx?Editorial_ID=26

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip87.html

ReplyQuote
(@shinzou)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

oh i see... thanks for the info tho, i was planning on getting a B.C rich mockingbird and lots of there line up is made of Agathis. Kinda uncommon to me so i needed to ask. thanks guys! :D

lemoned i scream

ReplyQuote