Skip to content
Aligning Tracks In ...

Notifications
Clear all

Aligning Tracks In Audacity & Alternate Chords?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have 2 questions here and felt this was the best place to post it. I am working on a variation of a shuffle that I found and for 2 days work I think it's coming along. However I need some possible chord substitutions to bring it down to my ability level. The song I am doing is called Back Burner (this is in PDF format). I am having problems transitioning to the F#7#9 and also to the B7#9 chords. The rest I think I'm getting down OK. What can I put in their place and keep it in context of the song? Here is what I have recorded so far: Back Burner.

While listening to what I recorded it sounds like I am not in time with the drums. But when I was playing it it sounded just fine. I tried aligning the tracks in Audacity but then it sounded WAY off? Is there a way without re-recording to get these to line up? I think it could be a latency problem because I had Adobe Acrobat open at the same time. My system resources could have been low.

Thanks

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

It really should not be a problem changing between those chords. The F#7#9 comes first in the progression. Play it like this:

X 9m 8i 9r 10p X from 6th to 1st string in order

Then simply slide down to the 2nd fret (based on middle finger on A string)

X 2m 1i 2r 3p X again in order

This is the famous Hendrix chord. It is really a very simple form to fret.

But if you must substitute, you could use a F#7 and B7, or even a F# and B.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike

It really should not be a problem changing between those chords. The F#7#9 comes first in the progression. Play it like this:

X 9m 8i 9r 10p X from 6th to 1st string in order

Then simply slide down to the 2nd fret (based on middle finger on A string)

X 2m 1i 2r 3p X again in order

This is the famous Hendrix chord. It is really a very simple form to fret.

But if you must substitute, you could use a F#7 and B7, or even a F# and B.

Thanks Wes...however the voicing they have for the B7#9 is xx9 8 10 10 which is just difficult to transition to. I do like the voicing you provided though! I'll have to try it and see how it flows with the song.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've had the same problem with Audacity - you record one track, then overdub and the overdub is out of sync - i got round it by starting each track with a count-in, "One - two - three - four....." all you have to do then is cut about 1/4 of a second out of the second track, or line the two tracks up by means of the waveforms....just cut a little out of the second track till the two waveforms coincide.....

:D:D:D

vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I remember hearing that the song Purple Haze is actually about the Hendrix chord...

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I just listened to the song, it doesn't sound like purple to me. Then again, I rarely see sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Mike
Yes, I can hear that the guitar is not in time/sync with the drums.
When I tried to use Audacity with multitrack on track recording (with my cheapo soundcards) I could never get the second track in sync with the first track. It was not only delayed , it was also running slightly out of speed.
I changed to Kristal Audio Engine together with the ASIO 2 driver "Asio4All" .
Now I have no problems with sync/timing between tracks (> 5 tracks).
And KAE has a more "proffessional" user interface and makes use of VST plugins in a much better way than Audacity.
Only drawback is that it is not handling .mp3 files.
But the wav to mp3 conversion is easy to do with audacity.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hi Mike
Yes, I can hear that the guitar is not in time/sync with the drums.
When I tried to use Audacity with multitrack on track recording (with my cheapo soundcards) I could never get the second track in sync with the first track. It was not only delayed , it was also running slightly out of speed.
I changed to Kristal Audio Engine together with the ASIO 2 driver "Asio4All" .
Now I have no problems with sync/timing between tracks (> 5 tracks).
And KAE has a more "proffessional" user interface and makes use of VST plugins in a much better way than Audacity.
Only drawback is that it is not handling .mp3 files.
But the wav to mp3 conversion is easy to do with audacity.

Well I just spent the last hour working with Kristal and the AISO driver and quite honestly I think it sucks compared to Audacity. When using the ASIO driver the output sounds TERRIBLE and nothing like what I just played. I can't even describe it. When using the standard MME it records fine but none of the FX can be applied. At least with Audacity everything works.

I know others here use Kristal and if you can tell me what I am doing wrong GREAT...however, I have been through the Help file OVER and OVER and still can't get it to work.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Both my soundcards (Soundblaster 24 bit! and NVidia motherboard based 16-bit soundcard) works fine with KAE and ASIO4ALL.
Only problem I have experienced is that it is fairly easy to have a too high recording level (overdriving the A/D converter in the soundcard) with digital distorsion as result.
The recording level indicator in KAE does´nt indicate or warn for overdriving.
You need to do test recordings with different output levels from the mixer (input to soundcard) and listen to the recorded sound quality until you can set the max recording level.
But I don´t know if there is a differens in max recording input level between using ASIO driver or MME driver as I don´t use the MME driver with KAE.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote