12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Howdy howdy

So, I'm trying to tear it up over an Allman Brothers backing, Jessica. And I sound like crap. Garbage, rubbish. And I consider myself a half-decent improviser, but what is this?!

What scales should I be using for their stuff? Pentatonic just ain't cuttin' it any more Mr. Clapton. What key is it anyways? I thought it was A, but I can't play anything decent over it.

What is the key to playing in the Allman Brothers style?

Thanks

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

What era of the band? They've had so many lead guitarists with different styles that you could go on forever. I don't even know who all of them were to be quite honest. Warren Haynes who played with them in the late 80s-mid 90s (maybe still, not sure) uses a LOT of string bending to get his sound. When I met him he told me that a lot of his soloing he based on blues scales. A lot of their solos were bases around holding the right note at the right time. I don't remember hearing them rip it that much.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that. They've always had great lineups but they were always different. Play what sounds right. Use whatever scales you want as long as they're in the right key, and don't try to sound like anyone but yourself.

As for the key of Jessica, I haven't played that song in over 2 years so I have no idea, I'm going to go relearn it though. Sounds fun.

And not to make this any longer but, if you like ABB, go check out Haynes' group Gov't Mule. It's got Warren, Mat Abts and used to have Allen Woody who was in ABB. Im blanking on the current bassists name though. I met Warren when I saw them last summer. Good band.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Try at the seventh position, I think it's D or E!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Sounds majorish to me; major scale.
:

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

For the first 3:45 of the song use the A major scale. Then from 3:45 to about 6:20 the D major scale. Then it's back to A major for the rest of the song.

There are a couple spots (mostly in the intro I believe) where Dickey Betts hits a couple of notes that don't belong to the major scale, but otherwise you're safe using the major scale.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Oops,

I was thinking of "Melissa", ignore my post! :oops:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the tips guys. Gotta keep working on this style, not sure what it is about it, but I play terribly over there rhythm.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Yeah, it can take a while to get used to playing that country type stuff (mostly using major scales) if all you're used to is playing blues (minor scales). But once you get the hang of it, it's fun, and that song is a good one to jam over.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have always loved 'Ramblin' Man' by the Allman Bros. Great soloing and melodies to play and learn from.

Good to hear from you, Taso. You literally disappeared.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Taso
Nice to hear from you and that you didn´t drop the guitar playing, but instead is trying new musical challenges on the guitar.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No no, have certainly not stopped playing guitar. Playing as much as ever. I have been very busy with college though, and with poker, playing and watching, and I havn't been very active on these boards. Also been unfortunetly taken up by a video game, I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

But no, definitly still playing as much as always. I'll have to upload a song or something to prove it :lol:

Thanks for the welcome anyways :)

Taso

PS Also been having some incredible problems with Comcast, but after 2 months of my entiring building calling in and complaining, and 7 repair guys, it seems they have fixed it as of yesterday.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yo Cosmo,

I feel the exact same way although I may not be as good at improv as you I don't have troublt when I'm using the minor pent scales to improv with but as soon as I start using a major scale it never sounds good.

The guys I jam with are big Allman brothers fans and I really don't know any Allman brother songs so I just try and improv something and Jessica is one that always comes up and I always sound like crap.

I'm not sure why it happens but I guess we just have to keep at it till it clicks.

Good luck and if you find any secrest please be sure to pass them along.

I think I have a BT of Jessica also I'll have to try again myself.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote