Clear all

ever get disappointed

40 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i bought a dimarzio pickup, and i thought it was gonna do wonders for my tone in my wolfgang, add more bass and mid, but instead it just sounds terrible, i had someone install it for me, and i was just so disapointed, now i they guy took part of the packaging off, and i cant bring it back to the store for credit, and now have to pay more to put the original pickup back in, what a waste, anyone ever get this feeling that im having?

(@rocker)
Noble Member

what dimarzio pup did you get, and did the person who put it in, know what he was doing?, i love dmarzio's never had one sound bad

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What's wrong with the sound? And yeah, which pickup was it?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

dont blame the car for the bad driver.

maybe you need to explore how that pup works. hang in there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

it was a super distortion, the guy said there would be an amazing difference, i told him i wanted a high treble with lots of mid and bass, and the highest output, and this is not what i expected, it sounds terrible compaired the STOCK pickup that was put in there

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Gear rarely fixes tone.

Tone has much more to do with your fingers than the sound chain. Honest.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Higher output pickups often give less treble response. The broadest, flattest frequency response curves with the highest peak frequency are often found in low output single coils. High output goes hand in hand with high inductance, which goes with a lower peak frequency of the bandpass filter produced by the inductance, distributed capacitance and resistance of the coil winding. So if you want a bright trebly sound, you went in the wrong direction. That and high output are a tradeoff. Anyway, high output's mostly useful for overdriving the early stages of an amp more easily, and you don't want a lot of high treble passing through the amp when you're making "preamp" overdrive distortion, it makes a nasty hissy buzzy tone.

But IMO pickups are WAY overrated for their effect on the overall sound, and Kingpatzer's right.

Now that you've got the Super Extortions, my advice would be to lower them and see how you like the sound. I'll bet you find it an improvement. Keep the amp gain and/or guitar volume turned down.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey Ric ... I had someone at another formum tell me I was full of crap for saying pickups were pickups. They are just wound to accent different frequencies or to be hotter or less hot. Duncans and Dimarzios had to be better cause they cost more! I've had / have Duncans and Dimarzios and they do sound great, but some stock pickups, and cheap ones float my boat just fine. I replaced the pickup that came in my epiphone G400 with one from an Epi Special cause I liked it better. The Duncan I bought for the SG didn't do it so that is what went in my son's Epi Special. What is the saying? Horses for courses or something?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

gear has everything to to do with tone, :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

They are just wound to accent different frequencies or to be hotter or less hot.

Wouldn't that mean different pups do indeed affect tone? :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

So you guys are saying that pickups do affect the tone but not nearly to the extent that people think? Man I just gassed on some custom PAF style pickups. I thought they would make my guitar sound more vintage... they won't?

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

ak,

yes they will, a pick up is not just a pick up, if that was the case dimarzio and seymor duncan would be out of buisness

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i agree that gear does affect tone..........give a blues player an ibanez with emg active pickups with a 5150 stack on full gain.............. it will affect tone

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i agree that gear does affect tone..........give a blues player an ibanez with emg active pickups with a 5150 stack on full gain.............. it will affect tone. he wont know what to do with himself.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

What I am saying is, the pickups that came with your guitar, especially if it is mid to upper priced, may be wound to suit that particular guitar's tone. Buying off the shelf, even if it is a quality pickup, may not be the right match. I'm all for Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. You just need to know what you want. If you want hotter, they got em. You want vintage sound, then you can get ones that have the magnets and windings they used in the old ones. I just agree with Ric that pickups are over rated on their affect on over all sound. You can't put a good pickup in a crappy sounding guitar and make it sound good. If you have a good guitar, the pickups probably aren't all that bad to begin with.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3