Notifications
Clear all

ever get disappointed

40 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

yes they will, a pick up is not just a pick up, if that was the case dimarzio and seymor duncan would be out of buisness

Explain why Gibson can sell a laminate top guitar for $5k more than a far superior carved wood top by a lesser name brand?

it's not their QA.
It's not the tone.

It's brand, marketting, and consumer perception.

There are a lot of kids out there that give Duncan and DiMarzio money for gear that will not effect their tone nearly as much as buying a better cable would.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Dimarzio pickups are not at all expensive compared to many others. Fralins are twice the price. Are they twice as good?

Swap cables for major tone change? Now you're kidding!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you have a good guitar, the pickups probably aren't all that bad to begin with.

Very good point, especially if we're talking about swapping the same type of pups, e.g., humbucker for humbucker.

But it should be fair to say that there is a difference between humbuckers and P90s and strat single-coils, even though much of the difference can be offset with EQ and other studio processing.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my Artcore with GFS Dream 90s sounds VERY different from the same guitar with its stock humbuckers.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

If you have a good guitar, the pickups probably aren't all that bad to begin with.

Very good point, especially if we're talking about swapping the same type of pups, e.g., humbucker for humbucker.

But it should be fair to say that there is a difference between humbuckers and P90s and strat single-coils, even though much of the difference can be offset with EQ and other studio processing.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my Artcore with GFS Dream 90s sounds VERY different from the same guitar with its stock humbuckers.

Oh, without a doubt. Different types of pickups .... that's where you will see a dramatic change in sound.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Phew I feel better. I don't hate the pickups I have now (stock pickups that came with my Epiphone G400) but I wanted a more vintage sound. I wouldn't buy expensive pickups like the Fralins or Jim Wagner's. The custom ones I bought were $60 each which is a steal. At that price it is totally worth trying. I can't wait to get them :D

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I was checking out the DiMarzio site (that slejhamer pointed out to me), and no wonder it sounds kinda dark and muddled. The Super Distortion was made in 1972 for Ace Frehley. The tone curve is treble: 5.5
mid: 7.5
bass: 8.0
It seems to be specced to accent the bass and mids, and cuts the treble noticably.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A simple EQ pedal will do wonders for your tone once you learn how to use it properly.

i agree that gear does affect tone..........give a blues player an ibanez with emg active pickups with a 5150 stack on full gain.............. it will affect tone. he wont know what to do with himself.

I can't think of any true Blues player that would want this setup. :roll:

You are going for too much gain... Active pickups, a Peavey 5150 (probably the highest gain amp ever) with Full Gain. You are never gonna get good tone like that. I bet it sounds like a sputtering chainsaw, or air leaking from a tire. Go back and listen to your favorite artists again. I bet if you listen real close, you will realize they are not using that much gain at all. Practically none.

I love Angus Young and that AC/DC tone. That is just me. Have you ever listened to that? It is almost clean. It is just clean guitar cranked up good. It is natural overdrive. And it sounds better than any Metal distortion pedal out there. Angus doesn't even use pedals, just plugs into a Marshall and cranks the volume.

You probably got just what you ordered, a super high gain pickup. And that's just what you are hearing.

Want to get great tone get rid of all that Metal distortion.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Pickups are a part of the sound chain. One part, not necessarily the key part. They affect the sound of your guitar in exactly the same way, and to the same extent, that different microphones affect the sound of a singer's voice. How many of you listen to Steven Tyler singing and say "Man, doesn't that SM58 give him a killer tone?!"

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Pickups make a difference. I have both a DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan humbuckers in my Strat. I love the DiMarzio, do not care at all for the Seymour Duncan.

A high gain pickup will always distort. It is almost impossible to get a clean tone out of it. If all you play is Metal, maybe ok. But if you like to play some clean tones too, forget it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

exactly what wes said, i use a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, an air norton in the middle, and a paf pro in the neck in my epi lp, i play in a
hard rock/classic rock band, so this suits my style, and epi pups are noy the worst, but not the best either, and the difference in
the sound of this guitar now, as to what it was is great 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

to wes.......i know that may not seem like a good tone to you..........but alot of people play that way, its just a different type of tone.....its all relative :)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I would see if the pickup is wired correctly!

I'm a big fan of DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups, my custom Buckel Has them. I don't understand why you wouldn't get more bass and middle with them.

Another thing you might try to do is cut back on the amount of gain you have, too much sounds really bad and the SD doesn't need much to get a good sound! This is a common problem in that people seem to think that a little is so a lot must be "more better" :roll:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A simple EQ pedal will do wonders for your tone once you learn how to use it properly.

i agree that gear does affect tone..........give a blues player an ibanez with emg active pickups with a 5150 stack on full gain.............. it will affect tone. he wont know what to do with himself.

I can't think of any true Blues player that would want this setup. :roll:

Can I have that setup?

Oddly enough, I read a review on a BC Rich. The reviewer bought the guitar to use as a blues guitar tuned to D. He was disappointed saying the pickups were way too hot for the blues. I was gonna get a BC Rich on my next paycheck. But if they are for blues players..........I don't know.......

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Play your guitar for a while. Maybe you will get acustomed to the new tone of your guitar. Alternatively, see about returning it. And if all else fails there is always ebay. Pickups have a good resale value on ebay.

Good Luck!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yea im gonna return it, i think that i should have gotten the EQ pedal instead, all i really wanted was more bass to come through thats all, its just i hate dealing with pedals and such, im a plug straight into the amp kind of guy, so thats why i tried this way instead.....should have gone with my gut and gotten the eq but o well.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3