alriught i think i have found my recording device

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3760218463&fromMakeTrack=true

would somone who nose what they are doing just take a quick look at this and tell me if it will let me if this is right:

i input my guitar or microphone into this machine- it does its shit- and inputs iinto my soundcard thru usb or firwire or something and then i get my result?

$MAX$

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It doesn't seem to have any USB or Firewire outputs as far as I can tell. You could still use it though, by taking the output and putting it into the Mic/Line In of your soundcard.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A mixer will output a signal appropriate for your audio card's line input, not USB or Firewire. The other problem is your guitar will need a direct-in (DI) box to convert impedances, as the 1/4 inch input into a mixer channel is not nearly high enough in impedance. This will roll-off high frequencies.

If you want a USB audio interface that has both guitar and mic inputs, buy something from Tascam or Edirol (sometimes sold through Roland). Expect to pay $150 to $300 USD new for something with two audio channels that provides mic (XLR) and switchable line/guitar 1/4 inch inputs. 16-bit is cheaper than 24-bit. Read the reviews if available, as these will give you an idea of sound quality and possible installation issues.

If you have a good sound card, the mixer will work, but buy a DI box for your guitar. The DI box can be just a simple I/O that gets your guitar signal into the mixer intact, or you could buy a Behringer V-Amp with is a DI with effects and amp modelling. This is a very low cost DI box:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/185270/

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

how about this the behringer ub802:

http://soundsource.zoovy.com/product/BEHRINGERUB802

remember guys all i need this is for plugin a mic and a guitar into and then outputting into my sound card somehow

but its not usb or firewall so wat is it? how does it go in?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Its analog out, not digital (which is what USB and firewire is). Analog is like your guitar cable or something like that. Digital is usually more expensive (not counting those real top of the line analog things).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The 802 mixer would work fine into your line in (on your computer sound card), but you still need something to covert the guitar impedence. A DI box will do it, this will do nicely, and it has an effective cabinet modelling function. These are a great and cheap way to send Bass direct to a mixer.
This will give you a really clean sound or you can put it after effects if you want to add distortion or whatever, or, if you are using something like GarageBand, you can add the effects and amp modelling in the computer.
Something like a POD or the (less expensive) V-amp and X V-amp, would give you all these functions (effects, amp and cab modelling, and impedence matching) for $70 - $200US.
If you have a so-so sound card, or really just want to go USB (might be the better choice if you are working on a laptop), the Alesis 8USB is a mixer a step above the Behringer 802 (it has some onboard effects) that has a USB connector. It costs $150US. It is 16-bit. (You'll still need a DI of some kind.)
Oh yeah, I'm assuming we're talking about electric guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

(You'll still need a DI of some kind.)

1. uhhh wat is a DI?

2. not electric...but electric acoustic ( same thing rite..does it matter?)

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The 802 mixer would work fine into your line in (on your computer sound card), but you still need something to covert the guitar impedence. A DI box will do it, this will do nicely, and it has an effective cabinet modelling function. These are a great and cheap way to send Bass direct to a mixer.
This will give you a really clean sound or you can put it after effects if you want to add distortion or whatever, or, if you are using something like GarageBand, you can add the effects and amp modelling in the computer.
Something like a POD or the (less expensive) V-amp and X V-amp, would give you all these functions (effects, amp and cab modelling, and impedence matching) for $70 - $200US.

Slothrob-

I just looked at your link to the Behringer Ultra-G DI box. It looks at if that one is designed to work between an amp's output and a mixer (that's why it has speaker emulation). The amp output-to-mixer is great if one likes one's amp, but are you sure it also will accept a guitar directly?

This one is definitely for direct guitar : DI-100, as is the less espensive Nady I linked above.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

(You'll still need a DI of some kind.)

1. uhhh wat is a DI?

2. not electric...but electric acoustic ( same thing rite..does it matter?)

A DI (direct-in) box is an electrical converter for one's guitar signal that goes between guitar lead and mixer or PC card line-in or any line-level input (e.g., PA system). In makes the mixer or line-level input look like a guitar amp input to the guitar. This is important to capture the proper sound from your guitar. A DI box that performs only that function is usually passive (unpowered) and is fairly inexpensive (under $50). A fancy DI box also includes effects and amplifier emulations to make the guitar sound as if it is going actual effects, amp, speaker cab, room (delay, reverb) and recorded via mic. The POD, V-Amp, Toneworks and Tonelab are all examples of this and cost $200 and up (way up).

Your electric-acoustic is treated same as electric for purposes of recording with its pickup. If your EA has an on-board pre-amp, you may be able to get away without a DI-box. Just try it directly into a mixer or line-in and see how it sounds to you -- nothing will be damaged. If the sound is dull, that is without good high frequencies, then get and use a DI box.

Finally, all this assumes one buys the proper adapter cables to patch between the various devices. The instructions accompanying each device (DI, mixer or USB interface) should direct one to purchase the proper cables.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

alright gnease thanks alot man things are much clearer now so between my mixer DI box and computer and guitar how much do you think i will have to be spending on the correct wires and cables?

aswell im sory but i have a few other very importatn questions listed under the subject on the message board "what is a DI box or DI"

thanks alot man

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Slothrob-
I just looked at your link to the Behringer Ultra-G DI box. It looks at if that one is designed to work between an amp's output and a mixer (that's why it has speaker emulation). The amp output-to-mixer is great if one likes one's amp, but are you sure it also will accept a guitar directly?
-Greg

Like the Nady, this one has a pad switch to allow input from a guitar or preamp. The signal coming out of the box is mic level, of course, so you do need a mixer or a mic preamp of some kind. The speaker emulation can be switched off.
I just mentioned this one because I know a bass player who likes this for going direct to to a mixer. He likes the cab emulation for cutting some of the sterility that can come from this approach. You can also drop an overdrive pedal inbetween to get a bit of amp "emulation" if you want. Primative, but it's a way to start getting there.
The cab emulation might help with the often unsatisfyingly flat sound of an A/E plugged direct without a mic, but I haven't tried that.

ReplyQuote