Clear all

Am I too YOUNG to start now?

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm bored. I'm 14. I've got a guitar, and a mic.

Am I too young to start making a CD now? I really want to, but i can't find a way to record. And I don't really have an audience and I have no way to produce it.

But I really want to.

I'm kind of rambling here. I need some............well actually I don't know what I need.

Erm.....HELP!

Hey.

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Go for it! Even if nobody but you ever hears the recordings, that can be a good way of seeing what you could do better or at least differently. Done right, you can lay down "jam tracks" and accompany yourself, too.
And by the way, I think I first got my hands on a guitar when I was about your age, maybe a little younger. If I'd stuck with it from the time I first picked one up, I'd probably play way better than I do these many years later. :roll:
Play on!

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Go for it! You are not too young. Check out these young ladies that are local to the Seattle area. I think they are ages 10 and 12.

http://www.smoosh.com/

They are touring with the Eels now!

My son, age 11, has been taking guitar lessons for a bit more than 6 months and he's writing songs by himself and with his friends.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

As has already been staded just go for it!

as for recording you have a guitar, a mic, and since your posting online you have some kind of access to a computer. One way to start is to run your instruments into your computers mic input. start slow and work your way up. you may need to get some kind of small mixer to run them at the same time, or you could just try recording them individually and mixing them. you may need to get some kind of sound program. Either way the best thing you can do is just to try. go for it and don't get discourouged. :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Your never to young or to old.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thank you very much for the support.

I've solved my problems.

I can record, with no hiss now.

I don't really care if I don't have an audience.

And....I can always post it on here if I can't sell it! :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, I can produce it now too. And it's a lot of fun. See ya.

Hey.

ReplyQuote
(@tre-billie-mike)
Trusted Member

As everyone before me has said just go for it, and as for your audience problem why not do some performances at school, and you could just ask your mates if they wanna be in a band with you or if your going solo you can always use your mates just for backing instruments such as a basic drum beat or something. I've been writing a few of my own songs the past few months with my guitar but as i'm leavin school i won't have that opprtunity but there are always open mic. nights available in local pubs you could aways try that anyway good luck with your recordings and have fun :D 8)

...It's Somthing unpredictable, But in the end is right, I hope you have the time of your life...

----I Am The American Idiot---- <-------You have been warned

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

thank you very much for the support.

I've solved my problems.

I can record, with no hiss now.

I don't really care if I don't have an audience.

And....I can always post it on here if I can't sell it! :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, I can produce it now too. And it's a lot of fun. See ya.

Note that you have an audience here at GN. You can post your lyrics in the Songwriters section, and post links to your MP3 in the Hear Here section.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

good luck, and looking foreward to your music!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@tre-billie-mike)
Trusted Member

can't wait to hear the music :) hope it goes well for you :D

...It's Somthing unpredictable, But in the end is right, I hope you have the time of your life...

----I Am The American Idiot---- <-------You have been warned

ReplyQuote
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member

I say just go for it.Buy some C.Ds make your track and burn off a dozen copies if u know any1 that plays on the street or somet sellin their C.Ds mebbe ask them if they would sell ures. Try and get ure name out there on posters and stuff........... 8)

Woot Woot!!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I was playing in theater pits and doing studio gigs at 14 . . . so no, you're not too young.

However, it's darn hard to get a real band going at that point as you'll find it very hard to find a bar that can let you in to play.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Definatly, go for it. Even if you record and you think it sucks, you may return to it a few years from now and find a few good riffs to develop. Eric Brahn recorded In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida at 17. Personally, I look at recording from an artistic standpoint/view. I do drawings with my music. You need to start working on your portfolio some time. Recording is also a great way to learn. It's good to record and then listen, you will find your good points and point that need development.

ta ta for now,
Oenyaw

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yes it would be a waste of your time, wait till you're about 48 then you will be about the right age to start :roll:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@metalanarchist465)

I started playing at 8, so go for it

ReplyQuote