11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello all

i hv a question ..

i tried out my new yamaha pacifica 112j with my Sony music system < wich is an impressive 5000 w monster , 440 w RMS >
.. it sounded better than my marshal 15 w amplifier < wich i got recently >... most impressive being that there is no humming in the music system .. while there was considerable humming in the marshall .... though both were connected to the same AC source ...

question : Can i connect my electric guitar to the music system ....
is it safe to use my zoom 707 processor wid the music system ...

also can the following combination be used
guitar -> processor -> marshall amp (15 w ) -> sony music system (440 w )

plz advice ?

:o

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Ah geez, I knew I should have asked you which amp you were intending to buy. Anyway you could return the Marshall in favour of a Vox modelling amp? I think you'd be much happier.

I'll let someone else comment on the safety of the above, though I definately wouldn't try the last, but have no real idea...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Read this thread, Avichaks, where Rahul, rparker, Wes & I talked this thing through. (The general gist being, go c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y!)

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19834&start=30

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

You could connect the output signal from the zoom 707 processor http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/707ii/index.php directly into an aux(line) input port of the HiFi amp.
If you play the guitar with clean sound there should no problems to use a HiFi sound equipment ( Speakers with high frequency tweeters) . But if you play the guitar highly overdriven with much distorsion on high sound levels you may blow the tweeters.

And yes , a good HiFi equipment has much lower noise and hum than a low cost practice Amp (as the 15W Marshall) .

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Back in the 80's, I used to play an electric through my hi-fi via the 5-pin DIN socket...got a nice acoustic sound out of it. I was always careful though, to keep the volume to a reasonable level and the bass fairly well down. I wouldn't recommend it though - after all, mine was only a cheap Fidelity hi-fi...well more of a medium-fi....and I wasn't working and couldn't afford an amp....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanx

for the advice guys ...

ya .. i talked to the guy i purchased from .. he said as long as the processor input level is kept at half .... everything shud b fine when connecting to a hi fi from instrumrent amplification .
also more than volume levels .. it's even the way u hit the strings that matter a lot .... even without distortion < that is playing clean > if u play a bass note .. or 3 or 4 bass notes too emphatically ... ur speakers could hv a permanent problem ..

it's jus that hi fi's r not made for connecting to guitars ... they r most suitable for tv's .. playstation's and anything else where the sound taken in by the hi fi is somoething wich it is ready for and not something which varies constantly and umcompressed .... at least that's wat he says

guess i'll jus wait for a year to purchase a 50 w marshall or something .... he says .. then that is definately better for the "guitar " then even 440 w < rms > hi fi system ....

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I was thinking of a similar setup since the subwoofer on my sound system is better than on my guitar amp. I was going to try and get my hands on something like a simple behringer mixer and try my Washburn bass with it. Wouldn't a pedal or an effects processor with a compressor on it protect the equipment?

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you EQd and compressed a bit you could probably do it very safely.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think playing bass won't be a problem through the woofers...but i don't know.

If i take out the signal throught the amplifier to the hifi speaker is then also is it at harm ?

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

If the Power rating of the speakers is higher than rated output power of the amp, fairly clean guitar notes or bass notes should not be a problem at full power.
The amp will limit the power before speakers takes damage.
HiFi equpiment is designed for playing recorded music of all kinds, including overdriven/distorted electric guitar and low bass notes.
The problem when you play a overdriven/distorted guitar is that it is delivering a signal level energy in the higher frequences (tweeter range) that the tweeters may not be designed for. But tone controls(equilizers) in the amp should be able to limit/protect the speakers from the high frequency energy. The absolute worst thing that can happend for HiFi equipment speakers is when using a microphone and getting positive feedback screams. It has killed more than one tweeter, including some of mine.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I actually tried playing an electric and a bass using a 1/4 " phono to rca mono adapter last night. I passed everything through a cheap digitech processor first. The guitar sounds fine, but the bass barely produces any sound. Afterwards I plugged the bass into the subwoofer (bypassing the receiver but not the gutiar processor), which produced more but not higher quality sound as far as I could tell. I will have to experiment more with this. The home theatre is a cheapo Sony set to begin with so there are no guarantees that it will actually be better than using the 15w washburn amp.

oktay

ReplyQuote