Clear all

Another beginner electric thread....

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i was wondering was kind of guitar yall would reccomend for a price range of about 150-300 bucks. ive been looking at a lower price range guitar from squier called the '51, but none of the music stores around have it since its so new. by the way ill be using a Vox 15 watt valvetronix amp. any thing sound good with this amp and price range?

Stairway to Freebird!

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Let me be the first, (but not likely the last) to say that you should buy the best you can afford.

When you're hunting in the 150 range, you're talking about pure beginner guitars, made from the cheapest parts using the cheapest labor employing the cheapest construction techniques. This is the land of particle board guitars and uneven frets.

Pushing yourself into the 300 range, you are still getting cheaper labor and techniques, but you'll be treated to more respectable building materials, solid hardwoods, etc. These guitars are definitely going to be a step up, and they will actually have some resale value.

Don't neglect the possibility of used gear as well. They have certainly been known to have their issues, and there's no warranties, but it's the only way to legitimately get $500 worth of gear for $300.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi. Yeah, i agree...you get what you pay for
IF you want a new guitar for that price, get a samick
They make most of the low-end models anyways... But
they really make they're own brand pretty good.

LOL my first "amp" was a home stereo. I plugged into the Mic jack.
Talk about Hideous....even though it sounded neat with a compressor
effect.
Used stuff might be the way to go, but be careful.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I agree with the samick recommendation, my first electric was a samick and I still love it. As for an amp I bought a cable and a 1/4" to rca adapter at radio shack for $3 and used "Revalver Live" a software amp for almost a year.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I think in that price range, you can pick up a decent non USA strat. Possibly a mexican strat. They're pretty nice. Maybe a bit more in cost, but I think somewhere around 300 bills.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

A student of mine just got an Abrams guitar on eBay, new with shipping for about $150. I have to say that I was fairly skeptical, never having heard of the brand before. But having seen it and played it a bit (albeit upside down!) this afternoon, I have to say he got a great deal for the money. It's a Fat Strat clone but done incredibly nicely for the price. Terrific neck, excellent set-up. Of course that might be more owing to the store he purchased from than the guitar itself...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well i just got an awesome job that pays $80 a month (im 13). i've got $260 saved up now so by December ill have about enough to but a MIM strat. :D tell me if yall think this is the best buy or that i should get somethin else. thanks

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

also.. if i get the mim strat, i plan on upgrading the pups. what do yall think are the best strat pups for just about everything ecept metal (metals not my taste)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't start off by upgrading the pups first thing. MIM Fender pups aren't bad.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

This may seem like a completly insane question, but!

What kind of music do you like? Favorite Bands? What do you want to sound like? (Hard to describe that last one)

Have you tried this MIM strat yet?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I would go for the mex. tele or strat for about $350 or find a used one for a little less at a music store( make sure they set up the guitar for you (new or used) . I have a samick strat i like but the mex strats have better hardware. The bottem line is , get the best guitar you can afford to start out with and you won't be sorry :D the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i like classic rock(zepplelin, hendrix, also the floyd guitarist, (something gilmour, yalld know), cuz he used a strat) but i also like the blues, and punk etc... im choosing the strat cuz ive heard it is very versitle(however you spell it) if you think the strat pickups are good, what do you think i should upgrade? I want to customize it so its not like any body else's( that'll be hard with a strat..) i've ben playing for 6 months now on a borowed squier bullet (yes, the one made out of plywood) , and a traynor guitarmate. thats probably that crappiest guitar and amp, but it sounds good to me... :roll: . anyway, thanks for yall help.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Look at straps. You can get some pretty expressive ones. I wouldn't mess with the guitar just for the sake of having something different. Your Strat will need a good name expressing its personality. It'll come to you after you play it a while. And they ARE all individuals, even if they look a lot like others. And what comes out of it is yours. Won't sound like anybody else playing the same guitar, and if you play another guitar it'll still sound like you.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well actually, i was trying to make it better, not just making it different. so i was wondering if yall had any things that you think will make it better.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Seriously, it's a great guitar just like it is!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2