Skip to content
Any of you roundnec...

Notifications
Clear all

Any of you roundneck resonator players play in standard ?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know today the resonator is usaully played in open tuning,Open G,Open D,etc. for slide players.Back in the days before ampflication,it was used in jazz or bluegrass bands to be equal to the trumpet or banjo.This was also before the booming dreadnaught.My wife often sings at nursing homes and wants me to play.She doesn't play anything so she wants me to help.I don't want to drag my amp along or the pa because getting in and out of there is pretty trickey.I'm sure than that resonator will be plenty loud enough.Is this a good idea?

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I don't own a resonator, but when I try one which is for sale, I choose a roundneck in standard tuning and play it like a guitar. I like that fine, and believe it is a good, crispy sound. When I found a Regal that I liked, I hesitated, and it was gone. Probably because I left the store the day before, when all the guys who were musicians started humming Smoke on the Water, and I thought it was a sign for me to stop & play something else. If I ever go back there, I'll give 'em Hey Joe!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I have a cheapo one. I play in standard & G & I've been meaning to try A.

When you go to the guitar store, what tuning is it in?....standard.....so learn some, not all in standard, so you can try it out without changing tunings .

ReplyQuote