Skip to content
Anyone know the &qu...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone know the "correct" chords for White Room?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I know..wrong forum..but you guys are up on everything..Anyone know the CORRECT chords for White Room by Cream?..The "Tab sites" all seem to be wrong..Sorry bout the post here...It's a desparate attempt by a desparate man...Thanks guys!

(@marshall)
Trusted Member

MrLogs, one thing you want to bear in mind on tabs is that they will not always show what your rythyms are and they almost never show you what your pick strokes are suppossd to be, for instance, downstroke, downstroke, upstroke, downstroke, and that sort of thing, then when you play the song it doesn't sound quite right, the best way to use tabulature is use them as a guild. get your song and the CD and your guitar and use the tab as a guild to help you learn how to play it. so what i do when i go to tab sites is look for several 5 star rating tabs that are all very closesly the same and then take those and learn by. try this one and see how it fits for ya...pay attention to the parts that shows using a wah-wah pedal. unless you have one your not going to get the same sound as Clapton did.
Intro chords:

Gm F Dm C Gm F Dm C Asus
--10---8----5---8----10----8---5---------|
--11--10----6---9----11---10---6---8---8-|
--12--10----7--10----12---12---7---9---9-|
------------0------------------0--10---7-|
---------------------------------------0-|
-----------------------------------------|

Verse Chords:

D G/C G/B Bb C
--------------------------|
----3---3------3---3---5--|
----2---0------0---3---5--|
----0---0------0---3---5--|
--------3------2---1---3--|
--------------------------|

Chords for the bridge, played with heavy wah-wah, are:
(with wah-wah)
C G Bb A C G Bb C D
-0---3-------------0---3------------------------------|
-1---0---3----2----1---0---3----5----7----------------|
-0---0---3----2----0---0---3----5----7--------7-7---7-|
-2---0---3----2----2---0---3----5----7---7h9------9---|
-3---2---1----0----3---2---3h5--5h7--7h9--------------|
-----3-----------------3------------------------------|

second verse riffs(with wah:

-------------------------------------|
-/13-13-13-10------------------------|
--------------12-10------------------|
--------------------12-10------------|
--------------------------12-10-8----|
----------------------------------10-|

------------------------------------------------------|
-------10-------10-------10--------13-----------------|
-12(14)---12(14)---12(14)----12(14)---12(14)-12-10----|
---------------------------------------------------12-|

-----------------------------------|
--------------------13-------------|
-----10-12-10-12/14----1412-10----|
-/12----------------------------12-|

---------------------------------|
-10(11)--------------------------|
--------12p10h12-----------------|
Thirds verse:

-13-10---------------------------|
-------12(14)-10----10-10--------|
-----------------12-------12-----|

-----------------16p15-16p15----------------|
-----15-15--17---------------15~------15-15-|
-/16------------------------------/16-------|
--------------------------------------------|

Lyrics:

Gm F D C
Ah Ah Ah Ah

Gm F D C A7
Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah

D G/C G/B Bb C D G/C G/B Bb C
In a white room with black curtains near the stations

Blackroof country , no gold pavements, tired starlings,

Silver horses run down moonbeams in your dark eyes.

Dawnlight smiles on your leaving, my contentment.

C G Bb A
I'll wait in this place where the sun never shines.

C G Bb C C D
Wait in this place where the shadows run from themselves.

You said no strings could secure you at the stations.
Platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows.
I walked into such a sad time at the station.
As I walked out felt my own need just beginning.
I'll wait in the queue when the trains come back
I'll wait for you where the shadows run from themselves

Gm F D C
Ah Ah Ah Ah

Gm F D C A7
Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah

At the party she was kindness in the hard crowd
Consolation from the old wound now forgotten
Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her dark eyes
She's just dressing goodbye windows, tired starlings
I'll sleep in this place with the lonely crowd,
Lie in the dark where the shadows run from themselves

Gm F D C
Ah Ah Ah Ah

Gm F D C A7
Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah

Solo:
--------10--------------10-------------10------------------------------------------|
-----------13--------------13-------------13---------------------------------------|
-12(14)-------12(14)~---------12(14)~--------12(14)12-10-12----10~--12-10-12-10-12-|
------------------------------------------------------------12---------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------10-----------10-------------------------------|
-----------------13(14)----13(15)~-------13---------------------------|
-10--12--10----------------------------------12(14)-12-10----10-12/14-|
-------------12-------------------------------------------12----------|
----------------------------------------------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------------------------------|
10x 3x
-||------13-||------------------------------------------10--------------||-----------||
-||13h15----||-13------------------------------------------13-----------||-----------||
-||---------||----1412-10-----------10----12-10-12(14)--------12(14)12-||-10h12p10--||
-||---------||-------------12-10-12-----12------------------------------||---------12||
-||---------||----------------------------------------------------------||-----------||
-||---------||----------------------------------------------------------||-----------||

----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------13---10-13-10-13-10-13-|
-10~------------------10----12p10-----------10----10------------------------|
------12p10-----10h12----12-------12p10--12----12---------------------------|
------------12--------------------------------------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

-10--------------------------10------------------------------------------------|
----13-10-13-10-13-10-13--13----13-10----10------------------------------------|
--------------------------------------12----10-12-10~----------14(16)-12(14)~~-|
------------------------------------------------------12-10-12-----------------|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------------------------------------10---------------------------|
----13---------------------------------------------------13-10---------------------|
-14----12(14)12-10----10-12-12(14)12--10----10-12(14)----------12(14)12-10----12---|
-------------------12--------------------12--------------------------------12---12-|

----------------------------------------------------------------------13-------|
-----------13--13-----13-----15(18)--15(18)~15-13-15-13h15--15--13h15----------|
-10-12/14--14--14--14----14----------------------------------------------1412-|

-------------------------------------------10---------------13(15)-13-10h13p10----|
----------------------------------------13----13(15)-(15)13--------------------13-|
-10-12-10----------10----12-10----------------------------------------------------|
----------12-10-12----12-------12-10-12-------------------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

-10--10-----10~--10------------------------------------------------|
---------13---------13---------------------------------------------|
-----------------------12(14)-(14)12-10-12-10----------10----12-10-|
----------------------------------------------12-10-12----12-------|
-------------------------------------------------------------------|
-------------------------------------------------------------------|
4x
||----------------||
||----------------||
||-12(14)--14(16)-||
||----------------||
||----------------||
||----------------||

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well..I was wondering what was the chording sequence that's heard if I put the Wheels of Fire Album on my cd player & play White Room..For some reason..on the Web..I find a zillion versions..What's the version heard on CD from Wheels of Fire..Is it that no one knows..I just don't get it??.."They" (Cream)..at least I don't think they did..didn't completely change the chording every time it was played....Or did they?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I wish I had my guitar with me, but I wanted to add that on those first three verse chords play the bass note then the chords to get the Cream effect --

bass chord
bass bass chord
bass chord

something like that. Sorry this is so imprecise but I'm at my desk without a guitar and I have to think with my guitar to remember exactly what I do. Play around with it and you'll get it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

MrLogs: which part of the song is there a clash? I have both a live version and the studio version. It seems that they're in the same key, using the same chords as outlined in the tab.

The intro I know is a bit weird because it's in a 5/4 time sig (or 3/4+2/4) but if it's not that part then is it the verses where the bassline is moving differently than the chords?

Hope we can help :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

MrLogs

I did an easy tab of this in the Easy Song Database some time ago. I think you will find it quite close. Eric Clapton was known for using regular open chords, so I doubt he played it up the neck the way that one tab showed. I have seen videos of him playing this song and he was down at the nut.

As for the intro, that was done entirely with feedback. EC used the individual feedback notes to create the intro chords. So there is no way to truly get that sound outside the studio. But the chords shown are the chords he created with feedback.

White Room

This tab is not exact. It shows the basic form. I do not try to tab every little nuance.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The feedback part really caught my ear years and years after it came out. I was in a trio trying to find a way to get THE BIG SOUND, so took it back to the masters. Then I really heard it; it sounded like another voice singing in the intro and then I listened harder and it was Jack and Eric singing the Ahhh parts and notes 'singing' on top and through their voices. Made it sound like a mini choir.

In the live version it sound more like Eric's just hitting a chord and hoping for the best as far as feedback goes. Jack is letting the low note sustain, and the two guys are singing. Then there's Ginger...nuf said really...hitting everything.

Still sound pretty full though, for 3 guys on stage I mean. No doublers or echoes or backing tracks. Wicked fat sound.

ReplyQuote
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!...(I'm new..as you can tell)..Started again after 30 years..went out & bought a Fender (Amer) Strat (E. Clapton Sig.) & a Flextone III XL amp....Tom

ReplyQuote