anyone suggest a sound card for the PC

27 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thanks kingpatzer!!!

That's what I thought but, you seam to know a lot about this so I thought I should get a second opinion. Thanks!!!!

Yeah, that FireWire looks nice but, to rich for my blood.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

King, you said everything I would have said, but... better!

Thank you for clearing everything up.

I'd also like to add a response to an early post about settling for lesser sound with a budget in the $1600 range. Let me say that having done my research, you absolutely do not have to sacrifice quality at that price.

Great combination pres/interfaces are getting cheaper by the day. Set your budget and go, you can do it on any budget if you do your research!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I just got off the phone with my buddy at GC (I buy all my stuff from him). He said he'll sell the M-AUDIO MoblePre to me for $125. Not bad, I'll take the extra off!!! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yeah, that FireWire looks nice but, to rich for my blood.

Mine too.

My wife understands that every know and then I get GAS . . so we have a deal, if it comes in at under ~$450 she'll not question my judgement and will assume I've saved up that much from lessons and gigs and what-not. If it is more than $500 she knows me well enough to know that there's no way i saved that up and I'm in deep trouble . . .that's why the firewire needs to come down about $150 :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

...she'll not question my judgement...

Psst... over here... wanna make a trade? :wink:

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I just got a HP pavilion a1034n, but the sound card clips to easily, i was looking at the m-audio 2496. would it work with windows xp ok. -the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I just got a HP pavilion a1034n, but the sound card clips to easily, i was looking at the m-audio 2496. would it work with windows xp ok. -the dog

Yes, it works just fine under XP

There are some tweaks you can do to an XP system for sound recording to make it a bit better, but even right out of the box, the M-Audio 2496 is a solid performing piece of hardware.

Take a look here for some good advice on windows xp performance tips for DAW use.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

If your budget has headroom, look at the Tascam US-122 USB. It's a very capable little box and a lot of people swear by it.
Argh. damn my memory. This was the one I was talking about in my post. It's very neat and very handy.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I picked up the MoblePre after work today. I am very impressed with this unit! The lack of distortion is very apparent. I knew I had to by-pass my sound card but, I thought my sound card was doing just fine.... boy was I wrong. Everything sounds so much cleaner.

These are just my first thoughts. I haven't rerecorded anything yet so I can't put my recordings back to back to get a definite understanding but, I like what I am hearing already and know my recording ARE going to sound better.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Glad you're happy with it Tracker!

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I like the options also. I have that mobile preon my wish list now, just need some $$.
My .02 on the sound smashers, they were blasted on the video editing sites also as garbage and degrading the soud quality. TB is a better choice than SB for cards.SB philospy in 02 was we have sound smashers in 75% of the PC's why should we change anything. So we have a bug inthe chip, most people do not notice :x :shock: I did as I had a problem and had to buy a new card. I do not use their products now. I voted with my wallet. :!:

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2