Applause AE28 for $...

Notifications
Clear all

Applause AE28 for $163...Any Good?

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Are the Applause AE28 by Ovation guitars any good? [urlhttp://www.geartree.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1155254/vpcsid/0/SFV/29865]Gear Tree[/url] has them on sale for $163 with free shipping an no tax. Is that a good price. (I may try to see if my local GC would be willing to beat that price!).

I really want to get a cutaway and I have always like the Ovation series with the round backs ever since Jon Bon Jovi did the first "unplugged" on MTV way back when. I know from reading the forums that the Ovation may touch nerves so I am NOT trying to start a debate. I just want to know if this is quality guitar for the money?

I really want the cutaway do I can play songs above the 14th fret. My Fender San Luis Rey dreadnought is a GREAT guitar but I just can't play songs like Wanted Dead Or Alive on it. Plus being an Acoustic/Electric makes the Applause something I would want.

I f I get an Ovation and a Epiphone Les Paul Studio I will have PLENTY to play with for some time (until I get the BUG again!)

Thanks

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

No matter what brand, Ovation, Martin, Taylor, etc. I reccomend not to get a certain guitar because your hero plays one. Buy the guitar that you personally think feels better than the others...

With that said, I've always liked Ovations (I've never played an Applause), and they sound incredibly good plugged in IMO... The one I'm GASing for right now it this one: http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=series&sid=303 as a gigging guitar, because they're supposed to be ultra tough....

However, they're are a few things holding me back... First, the thing keeps slipping out from under me because of the smooth plastic rounded back... Ovation has gotten better with this, still providing a rounded back, but it has grooves for it to sit on your knee, etc. etc. Also,the unplugged tone was lacking IMO... It just didn't sound very alive, but, when I plugged it into an acoustic amp, I realized thats where the life is... IMO it is truely a guitar meant to be plugged in... :)

Only buy it after you've played it, most people either love or hate Ovations from the start. I'm one of the people who's willing to give them a chance....

Happy buying! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

No matter what brand, Ovation, Martin, Taylor, etc. I reccomend not to get a certain guitar because your hero plays one. Buy the guitar that you personally think feels better than the others...

YoYo,

Thanks for your quick reply...and don't worry...I am old enough not to buy something because "my hero" uses it. Just about EVERYTIME I go into a guitar store I pick up an Ovation...Their sound to me is just incredible (srry I don't remember which models I have played!)...Ideally I would like the 12 string model buy that is WAY out of my price range at this time.

There was just always something about these guitars that drew me to them. When I was younger and I saw someone with a dreadnought all I thought about was the old country music my Mom used to listen to (like Conway Twitty!) since all I listen to was the "metal & rock" of that time period (currently called "classic rock"!)....Now that I am older I can appreciate ALL acoustic music no matter what the guitar used to play it.

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Applause is a beginner, entry level guitar. Technicaly, it's an Applause, not an Ovation.
A friend has had one for over 12 years. It traveled with him all through his Navy days and still sounds and plays good.
If you like the sound, $163 is alot of bang for the buck. And you will be getting a guitar that is almost bulletproof.

YoYo...The Tangent you are looking at is a "just above entry level" model. Plywood top....made in Korea, perhaps a shallow bowl. I'm an Ovation fan and I would not expect this guitar to sound acceptable unplugged. The next time you are in GC, try an EliteT. It has the looks of the Tangent but is much better built. These guitars are made in the USA with a solid spruce top. The EliteT offers the better sound of a USA model at the lowest price. Less bling, and the textured top costs less to make, but good basic materials. I have seen them on sale for $579. Again, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

How about the AE48 Applause? MY local Daddy's Junky Music Center has them for $199 plus tax...I believe these are the ones with the smaller soundholes toward the top of the guitar (closer to the neck) and there are more than one soundhole.

I wasn't sure about the sound projection of these or if these were meant to be plugged in for better sound? Would the AE28 be batter for both plugged AND unplugged?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I just thought I'd throw in that my friend has a '72 (I believe, I know its a VERY early make) Ovation that her Dad gave her and wow, that thing sounds incredible. Shows the truth in the statement that solid tops sound better with age.....AHHH *sigh*

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My brother in law play an Ovation.
He paid over $1000 for his (don't know what model)
Personally I like the sound of my Crafter better but that just me.
He does wear a strap, even when sitting.
Most people will say with Ovation you either love them or hate them.
It does look like an attractive price to me.

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Have you been able to play others in that price range?
That new Priceline / Shatner commercial comes to mind.
Shop.....and compaaaaare!!

Ovation....

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Have you been able to play others in that price range?
That new Priceline / Shatner commercial comes to mind.
"Shop.....and compaaaaare!?!"

Ovation....

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I've played the Applause versions and Ovation in all price ranges. I will only buy the Ovation that are made in the US. I am not opposed to Korean made guitars, but in this case, the US made Ovations are much better sounding than the Koreans. You may have to pay $850 or more, but it is worth it to me. Now, on the other hand, that Applause for $163 may be a great bang for the buck, but at some point you will be wanting a guitar that is better sounding and playing. As said before, just go play some in your price range and hear which one sounds best, wether it is Applause or any brand.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

97reb......Well said...well said!

Ovation....

ReplyQuote