Are my fingers Dead or Alive

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

can anybody out there give me some pointers on how to finger the into run to Bon-Jovi's Dead or Alive.

The tab I'm using is here>>>>

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bon_jovi/dead_or_alive_tab.htm

Even to my twisted and disjointed efforts it sounds pretty well spot on. I'm using index and second for most of it, but you may know better.

Thanks,

Rodders.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Let me see if I can help ya. For the intro (or "main run") i would start by fretting the 14th fret on the G string with your ring finger on your fretting hand and the 13th fret on the E string with your middle finger. This may seem weird at first but it will make sense as you move down the neck. For example, when you slide down to the 12th fret you don't have to re-position all your fingers, you just simply take your ring finger off and replace it with your index finger. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@freerider)

I can only tell you how I play it, and that is with my index finger on the 13 fret E string, and middle finger on the 14th fret G string. Then I slide the middle finger down to 12 fret G string, and plant the ring finger on 12 fret E string. My middle finger is always on the G string and the index and ring fingers take turn depending on if the E string fret is the same as the G string fret or one lower.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thats exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks guys.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@saryu)
Trusted Member

I learned to play this on my acoustic guitar, which is a cheap classical guitar without a cutaway, so it's hard to reach the 13th and 14th frets. As a result, I've learned to play it in a really awkward way and probably should try to unlearn it for my electric.

I use my middle finger on the 14th fret G string, and index finger on the 13th fret e string...then I flip my hand around and use my middle finger on the 12th fret e string and index finger on the 12th fret G string. I go all the way down the neck flipping my hand around as I go :-P It looks something like this (I=index finger, M=middle finger).

e|I| |I| |M| | |I| |M| |M|I| |

G| |M| |M|I| | | |M|I| |I| |M|

I've spent a year working on it (I'm a Bon Jovi fan :P ) with this poor fingering, and I can play it well but not nearly as fast as Richie. Also the action on my acoustic is kind of high at the 12th fret, so I find it hard to skip over the B string.

ReplyQuote