Skip to content
Are your fingers lo...

Notifications
Clear all

Are your fingers longer on the fretting hand?

27 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@denny)
Reputable Member

The callouses make my fretting fingers a little longer.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

My right hand middle finger is slightly longer, but it's because I smashed it with a dead blow hammer about a year ago! I still don't have feelings in the tip. Other than that, both hands are still stubby and short. :(

P.S.

I DON'T recommend making your fingers longer with a hammer!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

P.S.

I DON'T recommend making your fingers longer with a hammer!

Dang, I was almost there...

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

My fingers aren't longer when they are rested. But when they stretch out, they are longer and more flexible for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@dickdale)

I've been playing guitar for 51 years and I can tell you for sure that my fretting fingers are all longer by 1/8 inch. The crease lines in my fingers don't line up either. Never noticed it before.

Always end on a 6th chord..

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

There are two common things that occur in hands, some people will have their ring finger and pointer finger the same length, and some people will have their pointer finger be shorter than their ringer finger. From what I read it has something to do with testosterone levels during puberty or something like that, so men are probably going to be mostly one way and women the other, at least that's a theory from what little I remember about it. My left hand is my pointer and ring fingers are almost the same length, my right hand my pointer finger is shorter by quite a bit, putting my hands together it is not noticable, but when looking at my hands side by side I can easily see the difference (right hand my pointer finger ends just a little past the joint of my middle finger, left hand it goes about half way of that digit...). This is probably the result of too much nose picking as a kid or something (I'm not aware of ever injuring my hands or anything like that). On closer examination, it's actually my middle finger and ring finger on my right hand that is longer... so maybe it's from flipping people off (I don't recall picking my nose anyway)... or maybe more likely that my right hand dominance growing up = longer fingers since those fingers would be most involved in grip.

Either way, we're not perfectly symetrical, any of you noticing a difference in the size of your hand, is your non-dominant hand the bigger one? (I'm right handed and my right hand has a few fingers slightly longer).

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

People are just asymetrical. Go check some non-musicians.

Oh, yes. My fingers on the left are longer, my left foot is bigger (probably from stubbing my right toe on my wah), my right leg is shorter (proabably from excessive wah pedal use - damn, should have played something other than voodoo chile all my life).

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

From what I read it has something to do with testosterone levels during puberty or something like that, so men are probably going to be mostly one way and women the other
Does what you do with your hands influence whether more testosterone flows to one hand or the other?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Does what you do with your hands influence whether more testosterone flows to one hand or the other?
That MIGHT just go above a few heads here.... :wink: 8)

Anyway, I think imagination is playing a big part in some of the posts here.
Or weed.
I've been playing for around 45 years, and I have serious calluses on my left hand fingers, most of which tend to be below the surface, not stacked up on top, ready to fall off if I do dishes or work in the yard... :wink: :lol:
If my fingers are longer on the left hand, it is virtually imperceptible.
BTW, I've used my thumb a lot over the 44 years, fretting both the 6th and 5th strings, and my thumbs seem identical in length.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Hard to say but i believe my left hand fingers are a bit longer than my right.
i know for a fact that my left thumb is nearly 3/16" thicker but that's from bowling for many years with a 16 lb ball. come to think of it, it's probably why my left fingers look longer as well.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

From what I read it has something to do with testosterone levels during puberty or something like that, so men are probably going to be mostly one way and women the other

Grrrr, a man walks into a bar, ouch...

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Only a man would smash his finger with a hammer, women are smarter...

At least that's what my wife said when I did it! :evil:

I don't argue, she puts up with me! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2