Skip to content
Bad news for me but...

Notifications
Clear all

Bad news for me but...there might be hope ?

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

As i have been telling you all about buying my new electric guitar.Today i called up in the music store and they said they DON't have a left handed version of that aria guitar either.Same reasons - It doesn't sells and kinda. :oops: :cry:

Now its the biggest store out here and it contains everything righty...so the only solution i think i have with me left now is to buy righty and make it lefty.

I know that the nut has the filed off.That is easily done...

Do you think what else has to be done.I have heard that on an electric strings can be reversed and still it sounds fine on many other sites.

What about the bridge?if i reverse the strings will the Low E enter into the High E's slot in the bridge.And what all about intonation ?Does it really goes bad ?

I am determined to do this conversion regardless of any good or bad consequences.If i am not able to do it correct then i can very well give this guitar to my cousin or my uncle (and my uncle would pay me back for it too.... :wink: ).

I will though ask the sales guy if he can do the conversion and if he cannot , i would do it myself...So keep your suggestions coming, :)

Thanks ,

Rahul

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Rahul;

If you know the exact model that you want, can you risk ordering it internationally? Are there nasty import taxes or other restrictions?

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

no nothing of that sort but... the shipping costs almost make it to half the cost of guitar (not less that 100 $ )which i guess is too much for me :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

Seems like it would be worth the shipping to get exactly what you want, rather than a compromise. Even if it means you have to wait a bit longer to be able to afford it. Just my two cents.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Rahul, it is true you can reverse the nut and bridge but then you are stuck with a couple of other compromises. For one the pickguard might end up on the top if it is the type (strat and tele for two) that can't be moved since it covers the hole where all the electronics are. Same for the controls. If it is a fender style the tuners would also be on the bottom instead of the top. All in all it would look kind of funny.

If you catch a good deal outside your country the shipping may balance out. How much would it be to ship from the US?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Sorry to say this, Rahul, but I'd be worried about the "damage" factor more than the cost to ship it.

The company I work for ships around the world and we get a good rate because we ship a lot of goods. MF and others get a better rate than us I'm sure because they ship a LOT more. FedEx is really cheap compared to USPS. UPS, I wouldn't DARE ship an important item with them. They couldn't walk 5 steps without spilling or dropping an empty cup. :shock:

I'll check tomorrow how much it would cost to ship a 20 pound package (more than the guitar will weight, but to get a good idea) to your area.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I just priced it from New York to New Delhi based on the dimensions and weight of my last guitar package and it was $250 US for FedEx. That was a private customer rate so I would guess Music123 of Musicians Friend would be cheaper.

UPS wanted $328 for the same package

I am also sure Mike will get a more accurate price.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i'm not trying to start a "who's a better shipper" war here but i must speak up for UPS.
i have used them exclusively for many years without any problems and i ship hand made glass bevels.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm glad to hear that TL, and I wasn't trying to start anything. We get a lot of packages at work and it seems that UPS is good for either late delivers, damaged packages and the funniest of all........ footprints. :lol: Yup, size 10 is the average. I know it might be the locals here, but again, we ship and recieve around the world. We never seem to have that problem with others.

Sorry to be a little off topic.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

one of these days i will find myself a left-handed guitar and convert it to righty for the Hendrix effect. hey, if you play out with it, and it sounds good, you'll stand out from everyone else. Paul McCartney's main acoustic is right handed-turned-lefty. so it can be done. and my view is, who cares if the tuners are on the wrong side. Jackson makes a guitar with the tuners on the other side too.

Rahul, my personal vote, if it's what you want, is to convert to a lefty. it's cheaper. just be ENTIRELY sure it's the guitar you want before you buy it, or you're stuck with it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

one of these days i will find myself a left-handed guitar and convert it to righty for the Hendrix effect.

Rahul, my personal vote, if it's what you want, is to convert to a lefty. it's cheaper. just be ENTIRELY sure it's the guitar you want before you buy it, or you're stuck with it.

When you find that lefty , don't convert it to righty and ship to me for free..... :twisted: or better visit out here :wink:

Tomorrow saturday most probably i am going to the store (damn it will take 2 hrs) and will check out what can be done..good luck to me :D (Hey someone tell me that i should stop lamenting about being lefty :oops: )

Rahul

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You should buy the first thing you see.

After that buy me something and ship it overnight.

Thanks, bud! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

bish , your asking like a tip from a beggar :lol: (and a poor one like me who is left handed )

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

something you may not have considered, "convert" yourself.
it's not too late, you are a young'un. come on over to the "twisted" side. :twisted:
there are a heck of a lot more guitars to choose from :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Fed-Ex - $236

UPS - $189

I would try the UK or somewhere closer to you, Rahul. I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Good luck, bud

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2