Clear all

Band Troubles

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I'm currently in a band with a friend, and an.. aquaintance.. The problem is, myself and my friend have no communication with the drummer, because we dont see him at school (higher year). This is causing alot of problems and the band has basically broken down.

The next problem is, there just arnt any other drummers that are in our year at school. I'm running out of time at school, and I just dont seem to be progressing musically, and band-wise.

What do to? Oh, what to do?

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

This seems to plague guitarists everywhere: there are fewer drummers out there than bassists, guitarists, vocalists, etc.
If you have the time you can try to teach a friend to play the drums. I mean, they won't be very good at first but it could be worth the investment. I heard once that it is better to have a band of your friends even if they aren't so good than skilled musicians who you don't get a long with and hardly contact with, and I still believe it.

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I heard once that it is better to have a band of your friends even if they aren't so good than skilled musicians who you don't get a long with and hardly contact with, and I still believe it.

I do also agree with that. I recently moved away from my only real friends, we were about to get ourselves into a band, when I heard I had to move.

I dont really have any real friends anymore, and thats a big problem when trying to form a band. :( I've generally become a reclusive, antisocial person ever since I had to endure the worst 5 years of my life. But I shouldnt really blame that, I guess.

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

I do also agree with that. I recently moved away from my only real friends, we were about to get ourselves into a band, when I heard I had to move.

I dont really have any real friends anymore, and thats a big problem when trying to form a band. I've generally become a reclusive, antisocial person ever since I had to endure the worst 5 years of my life. But I shouldnt really blame that, I guess.
Hey, I know what you're going through, my parents moved to the middle of the woods in I was young and here I sit. But you're not running out of time. You have your whole life. I don't know how much school you have left, or how school works in england or anything, but you don't know who you're going to meet, so have hope. If your graduating soon why not make college plans? I have a lot riding on the hope that I meet a band in college.
Really, though, you have plenty of time. dont worry

ReplyQuote
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I can't go to college unfortunatly, my parents want to move out of England soon, but I don't want to. So they're leaving me here. Ive gotta quit school and get a job as soon as possible so they can leave. Kinda sucks, but oh well.

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

You know its hard to keep a band together especially when its forming. I had a band started up with me, a bassist, and a singer, and we were looking for a drummer. It worked out for a while until the bassist decided he didnt want to play bass anymore and the singer decided to get married and move to a different state, and all this before the band was even 2 months old. Try to work it out, and hey you dont always need a drummer, you can always be an acoustic duo :)

-Micheal

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

drum machine; seriously, I saw an 80s cover band who hooked a dr.rythym into the PA. Touch of reverb, slight slight delay, and you'd never know :D

Acoustic duo is nice as well.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@cyrusocn)

I know exactly what youre going through and it sucks. My band just put out an Ep and we're working on a full length, but within the next couple months our Drummer is moving away for college and our Bassist may be moving as well.
Hang in there man! I feel for ya,
Sorry I couldnt be much a help, just wanted to say you arent alone!
Cya,
Cyrus

You may find my appearance to be foolish,
But it is you who plays the fool,
For although I am only a student of the victim,
I have many many styles,
Try my choking style,
Hoo-ah!
-In Hell, Choking Victim

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I'm starting a band up in college next year, and for the most part we've already got the group formed, minus, you guessed it, a drummer. I'll be playing ryhthm guitar, we have a bassist who is in another band right now, a lead guitarist, who is in another band and I do acoustic duos with, and the 3 of us can all do vocals. We just need a darn drummer. Where have all the good drummers gone?

And don't answer Rush cover bands :wink:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

And don't answer Rush cover bands

Buwhahahaha - Rush dominates the drumming department! :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

On the web for local musicians, there are several free websites here in the states that list musicians looking for bands and bands looking for musicians

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Teleplayer, might wanna resize that avatar, it's a bit big.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@panterririst)

I can't go to college unfortunatly, my parents want to move out of England soon, but I don't want to. So they're leaving me here. Ive gotta quit school and get a job as soon as possible so they can leave. Kinda sucks, but oh well.
Hey, bro. Sounds like my story. I gotta work, go to college to study, and play my guitar.

I hope you love playing as much as I do..... coz tats all that sticks with you. And I have tha shitty proble with drummers, and I play stuff thats really fast, so I need good drummers, but damn, they're all taken.

Dont be so down, instead of finding a friend wo's a drummer find a drummer, and kiss his ass, sorry, heck, thats what I'm doing.

"Pain is pure, isn't it?"

ReplyQuote
(@pastell-black)

Hi
I also konw what you're all talking about... Except for that I don't know any musicians who'd like to play the same music as I do and have my skill, which is not very high.
Plus, I'm living in a really small city, which makes it even more complicated to find a band or musicians to jam with.
Cu

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I recently moved away from my only real friends, we were about to get ourselves into a band, when I heard I had to move.

I hear that man, same thing happened with me pretty much except I moved of my own accord. Was gonna be doing alot of playing with friends who would be learning with me. Real friends are hard to find, acquantices and people you hang out with...not so much. GL, and may I suggest you try the classifieds?

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote