Clear all

Barring D and A major

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know a guy that barres the Dmaj and Amaj chords. He mutes the high e in the Amaj. What are some of your opinions on this? Some say it's cheating, he says that if the listener closed his/her eyes and heard it, they'd never know the difference. My only problem with this is the D7 chord. If you're really used to barring the D, wouldn't it be habit to go to this form for a D7, which could completely mess you up? I just think it's a bad habit, it's not really "cheating". :?

Any of your reasoning/opinions would be helpful.

-Ryan

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I say any way you want to form a chord is fine as long as it doesn't change the sound, but that's a bigger catch than you might think. You have to remember that there are usually good reasons why the common ways to do it became common in the first place. Ease/speed of change to other chords - as you mention for D7 - is one.

Also, tell your friend that even though he may not be able to hear the difference between muting the high E and not muting it - others can (in fact, the highest note of a chord is often the most important note), and he will be able to in time too. When he gets to that point, he's going to be mightily annoyed with himself if he's already taught himself the 'wrong' way to play A. (I speak from experience, I'm currently wasting hours of good learning time retraining myself to play barred A-shapes without muting either the high E string or the B, and I cringe when I get it wrong.)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I definitely agree C&S. Muting the high E on Amaj takes something away from the 'happy' sound all major chords have (or should have).

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

But you'll also find that guitarists often do mute the high e on the A. It's not at all unusual. I do it myself frequently (especially in rock songs and on electric) though not always. And you'd also have to consider that if you play the A in other places on the neck (the E shaped barre on the fifth fret, for example, has an A as the highest note or the D shaped A at the ninth fret has the C# as the highest note) the E isn't always the highest note. In fact, I suppose muting the high e and having the C# or third as the highest note is much like playing the A at the ninth fret where the C# is also the highest note. There's no rule that says that the E must be the highest note in the chord.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What Musenfreund said. It seems to be a pretty common thought among guitarists that chords have 'good' voicings and 'bad' voicings, which is total nonsense. The top note's main function is to support the melody, so whether that top note should be an E, C# or A in an A-major chord totally depends on what the rest of the instruments is doing. One should be able to play every inversion of every chord and use them to their best effect. So you should be able to play the A-shape barre both with and without the high-E.

Just mt two cents. :)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yeah, good catch guys - I didn't explain it very well. I'm not saying you must play it, just that ideally you want to be able to when the song warrants it. Just deciding now that you'll never need it because you can't hear the difference (or you think others can't) is a little short-sighted.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Muting the high E on an A is simple enough...if that note isn't crucial to the song or the song sounds better without it, by all means mute it. My only thing is that I don't want to develope bad habits. It sounds like both ways have their uses, though. I guess barring A can't really be considered a bad habit anymore though...what do you think of barring the D chord?

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, I don't get the question. What do you mean with barring the D-chord, and what is potentially wrong about it?

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Arjen, I mean playing the high e and g strings with your index on the 2nd fret, and playing the B string on the 3rd fret with your ring (or middle) finger. I think going from a 'barred D' to a D7 would be an issue.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Nirvgas,
Think about it this way: the A at the second fret is the 0-position barre chord. If you move everything up one fret, you'll play a Bb (or A#). But now you have to barre the first fret. Barre chords are a way of creating a moveable "nut" with your finger. Move up two frets and you'll play a B. Three frets a C. Four frets a C#; five frets a D. Everything we've all written about the A chord at the second fret holds holds for each of these chords.

Now, when playing the D7 at the fifth fret, you'll not have to worry at all about muting the high E string because you can use your ring finger and little finger to grab the second string at the 7th fret and the fourth string at the 7th fret while barring the others at the fifth fret. The high e is a bit of a non-issue for the 7 chords played with a fifth string root.

I hope that makes sense to you.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gallileo)

Arjen, I mean playing the high e and g strings with your index on the 2nd fret, and playing the B string on the 3rd fret with your ring (or middle) finger. I think going from a 'barred D' to a D7 would be an issue.

I think he's talking about a three string bar of the usual open D.

It is hard to switch between D and D7 this way. But it's easier to switch to other chords this way. For example, the chord progression in Simon and Garfunkle's "America" goes D Dmaj7, Bm, D, G, D.

If you stick to the lower three strings, and use a barred D, then swtiching from D to Dmaj7 means just lifing your second finger. Otherwise, it's a major pain to hit. You can then do the Bm simply by putting your second finger back down, and your ring into place on the third string. Then at G time just move your barre finger down three strings. Then switch it back up to D. You've just played a non-trivial chord progression with an incredible economy of motion, with interesting voicings to boot.

Do what the song calls for, in a way that sounds good. Being able to finger a chord several different ways will allow you to easily play songs that seem impossible to someone intent on doing it the "right" way.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have to admit though that I'd play the open D, D7, and Dmaj7 shapes for that song. It's the most efficient fingering, I think. I wouldn't bother with a barre there at all.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote