Been a bad boy

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Bought my Ovation and a pretty nice amp almost 9 months ago and I reallized today that although I play my Ovation quite a bit, I hardly ever plug it in. It sounds so much better plugged in but its a hassle and well I must admit that its alot of laziness on my part.

Whats bad about that is that I really havent learned much about my amp.

SO. Today I made a resolution that I am going to only play my Ovation when I am willing to get off my arse and plug the booger in.

Anyone else done anything "bad" that they'd like to fess up. Might as well all take our whippings together.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I haven't changed strings on any of my guitars for AGES - but I went shopping yesterday and now I have spares....

Sheer laziness on my part - or parsimoniousness (if that word didn't exist already, hey I've just invented it!) - not sure which.....

So tomorrow - while the Marilyn is spending a couple of days or so at her daughter's - I resolve to change strings on ALL my guitars including the bass, which I've never done yet....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I expierimented in Drop C today. To me thats a "sin"

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Until 6 months or so ago I hadn't learned anything new in years. Literally years, I was barely keeping in. Plenty of reasons why not that I couldn't really control, but I could've squeezed more in if I'd really tried.

Making up for it now though, wheeeeeee! :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

I own a fender jaguar and I have a good mixer with effects. But I have no amp, somehow ive put it off for like a year, it totally sucks.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

I expierimented in Drop C today. To me thats a "sin"
nonono my friend thats a good thing. you are opening more doors. they may be metal but thats ok. and for my bad habit i haven't changed my strings in years. lack of moola. same thing with getting a bigger amb
oh and GITTING SNAKE BIT to much.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Man where do i start....I won't study theory, I don't seek out other players to jam with.

I know a guy who would probably play with me and even back up my playing if I asked and he's great he's been playing two decades, but besides the couple of times i went over there I don't pursue it WHY? because I probably need the time to indulge in some bad habit. If I didn't love music my whole life I would probably never play. Its really the way I am in general i'm not a bad guy just laaaaazy.

Having said this I continue on because I like the feel of picking, strumming, sliding, trying to sing and all those good things its one of the few things in life I see a point too :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've been promising to write out the solo to "Don't Look Back In Anger" for a student for three weeks and haven't got round to doing it; even though I've been off work for most of that time.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chae)
Eminent Member

just do what i do and leave the amp and guitar hooked up, and just unplug it lol. then when you want to play it all you have to do is plug in the mains and you're away

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

In 3 years playing the guitar I only learned open chords + barre F and Bm, basic strumming and some very basic fingerpicking. I could play 200 songs, but they all sounded the same. I realised that one day when my wife told me: You are playing the same song every night, aren't you ?

So now I stick to the 20 songs I like the best and try to make them sound different from one another.

Next step I'm going to get very serious an blues fingerstyle.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I hate practicing with a metronome...I have one on the shelf staring at me everytime I pick up my guitar to practice...."maybe tomorrow I'll use it.....".....well, it's been tomorrow everyday....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

I hate practicing with a metronome...I have one on the shelf staring at me everytime I pick up my guitar to practice...."maybe tomorrow I'll use it.....".....well, it's been tomorrow everyday....

that last line would be great in a song. and i need a metranome. you could give it to me...never mind.that was a stupid joke. also my jokes are getting worse. thats a bad habit. same with my spelling...oh yeah guitar related...GIT SNAKE BIT.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

My guitar sins?
1) I own a Crate combo amp.
2) I still own my old Warlock.
3) Badly damaged said warlock with failed bridge change...
4) I actually PAID MONEY For a Jap Kramer...
5) Broke the neck off of said Kramer when it wouldnt stay in tune, totally destroying any resale value...
6) I took apart 3 other guitars and havnt put them back together yet...
I guess all my sins are gear related. Good news is every time I break something I have to learn how to fix it... im learning a lot.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

My guitar sins?
1) I own a Crate combo amp.
2) I still own my old Warlock.
3) Badly damaged said warlock with failed bridge change...
4) I actually PAID MONEY For a Jap Kramer...
5) Broke the neck off of said Kramer when it wouldnt stay in tune, totally destroying any resale value...
6) I took apart 3 other guitars and havnt put them back together yet...
I guess all my sins are gear related. Good news is every time I break something I have to learn how to fix it... im learning a lot.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Man where do i start....I won't study theory, I don't seek out other players to jam with.

The only theory I know is the smokindog theory.." Just slide it up and down the neck till it don't totally suck" I think I stole that from some old blues man :oops:

As far as playing with others, I'm working on two tunes , one with a guy from Norman OK, and another from New Zealand over the net 8) so I guess that counts sorta :?:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2