Clear all

Beyond Travis Picking

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Recently I have been playing a lot of Paul Simon tunes: Kathy's Song, Bleecker Street, The Boxer, etc., and I love his style of fingerpicking, but I don't really know where to go with it. I like playing acoustic, and strumming is fun, but I think there's a lot more subtlety and interesting stuff to be done with fingerpicking than this root-fifth-root-fifth pattern. Any advice on songs to learn that would introduce me to other styles of fingerpicking, especially ones suitable for vocal accompaniment?

~Sam

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Try "Turn Turn Turn" by the Byrds. Roger McGuinn's fingerstyle technique was influenced by his banjo playing days.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i like fingerpicking too. you could learn Blackbird if you don't already know it. that's a fun one. Or look up some old acoustic blues stuff. Or take songs you already know and find picking patterns for them.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

the next level of fingerpicking is the classical method. A thumb and three fingers. The thumb does a bassline while the 3 fingers do a melody. It is much harder and allows you to do more things at once.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member

try some easy fingerpicking blues, trust me there's nothing like it. U can try Candyman - mississipi john hurt

and if u wanna go through easy tunes go through peter,paul & mary

try dust in the wind - kansas :D

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@scott58)
Trusted Member

Nancy wilson from "Heart" has some good ones also. Dog and butterfly, the dragon, minstral wind to name a few.

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean 79 ML (silverBurst) Dean 79 ML Arctic White
Dean V-Wing Dove
Wampler SuperPlextortion - Skreddy Lunar Module
Peavey Transtube 110 EFX - Vox DA20 - Valve Jr Head/Cab
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

ReplyQuote