Clear all

Bluegrass flatpicking...Clarence White

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For those who enjoy this style...I just got my latest treasure in the mail from Amazon.... :D ... the late , great Clarence White's "33 Acoustic Guitar Instrumentals"...taped on a home reel-to-reel player back in 1962, on his old D-18....when he was only 18 years old !
I became a fan of Clarence White back in 1964 when I was just starting out....in fact he was my hero, despite him being a little younger than me.
If you listen to this CD, you will understand why many critics consider only Doc Watson to "have come close" to what he could do flatpicking a guitar....truly incredible.
He always put the lie to needing to fingerpick to achieve maximum note content....in more recent years only virtuoso flatpicker Tony Rice has "come close".
His bluegrass group, with older brother Roland White on mandolin, was the Kentucky Colonels.
Clarence later went to The Byrds for a while, and naturally was a highly skilled player, [and innovator of the B-Bender] on his old Telecaster.
He was killed by a drunk driver in 1973 while loading gear into his car. He was only 29 years old.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx