Clear all

Blueridge Guitars

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@graham)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi folx, this is my first post although I have been lurking and doing the lessons for some time.

The forum seems to offer a wealth of info for the newbie as well as the established player.

What I would like anyone's opinion on is Blueridge guitars.

I have a Cort earth 200 that I bought about 9 years ago. I also have a Seagull S12 that my wife and kids got for me a couple of years ago. I love the sound of the 12 and the Seagull in particular is very warm and mellow to me. The Cort on the other hand, to me is a bit tinny sounding, but my biggest complaint is the neck width. I have trouble with the neck, could be fat fingers, could be inexperience, probably is a lot of both of those things however the S12 has a nice wide neck and I have much more sucess and fun with that.

I was looking the other day at new guitars. I played a Seagull 6, Takamine, Yamaha, S&P, Larrivee, and a Martin. All of them where in and around $1000.00 CAD, which I would consider. I also grabbed a Gibson J-45 off of the wall and played that for a bit. What a beaut!!! But at $2295 I can't justify that at this point in time. Man it was sweet though.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I was surfing around and saw these http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=BG-160 guitars, specifically the BG-140 and 160. They look great, much like the vintage Gibson. I think that is what is really attracting me, that Sunburst colour.

The few reviews I have read say positive things, albeit they are mostly from sites trying to sell them.

So I was just wondering if any of the good folk here have any info on them good or bad?

Anyway thanx for reading, if you did, and thanx for the great site.

Case

Graham

'72 Guild D25
'72 Guild A50 Archtop
'87 Guild GF25
'89 Guild JF30
'96 Guild DV-52
'99 Guild JF30-12

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

If you're willing to spend that much I have a few suggestions. First, I bought a Martin earlier this year. It's an 000C-16GTE, so it's smaller than a dreadnaught, has a cutaway and is acoustic-electric. You can buy the same guitar without the electronics for about $1,000. Guild also makes a cutaway guitar that sounds really great. It's maybe $700 or so. It's the GAD-30.

In regards to Blueridge I have no personal experience with them but I've heard nothing but good things about them. People at the Unoffical Martin Guitar Forums are pretty surprised about these guitars. You can check over there; there are a few threads about Blueridge.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I really liked the sound of their 000-sized BR-343 guitar, but the neck is terribly skinny. Okay for strumming, but not fingerstyle IMHO. I ended up with a Seagull folk model, which doesn't have the same midrange punch, but is great in other ways. Wide neck is great for fingerstyle and those with fatter fingers. If you like the wide Seagull neck on your 12 string, you might not like the Blueridge necks, though I don't know if their other models are similar. Just my 2 cents, but I'd highly recommend playing one (or several) before you buy.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i actually researched these quite a bit not too long ago. i played several at the nearby musiciansfriend and they were all very lively, sturdy, and with very few flaws.
i really liked the all solid wood construction patterned directly from Martins and Gibsons for a fraction of the cost.

what stopped me was the 1 year warrenty, even at such a good price i needed more than just one year.
if you want you can get loads of info from the folks at the unofficial BR forums
http://p214.ezboard.com/btheunofficialblueridgeguitarforum18213

btw i thought the necks were a bit on the narrow side also.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@graham)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If you're willing to spend that much I have a few suggestions. First, I bought a Martin earlier this year. It's an 000C-16GTE, so it's smaller than a dreadnaught, has a cutaway and is acoustic-electric. You can buy the same guitar without the electronics for about $1,000. Guild also makes a cutaway guitar that sounds really great. It's maybe $700 or so. It's the GAD-30.

Thanx for your opinion(s)

The GAD-30 is a beautiful looking guitar, I will search one out in this neck of the woods. As for the Martin's, how the heck do you pick one from their site? I can click on any photo, scroll to the price and the click back because I ain't payin' $3000, $4000, $5000 for a guitar, but I'd be doing that for days, they have so many models.

Case

Graham

'72 Guild D25
'72 Guild A50 Archtop
'87 Guild GF25
'89 Guild JF30
'96 Guild DV-52
'99 Guild JF30-12

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I have a blueridge BR-05, Its one of their lower cost guitars but I really love it. Sweet tone, stays in tune, feels good in my hands and plays well. I think they have a great guitar for the money. For $3000 you can buy a lot of good guitars :D

Its the one on top

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote