Clear all

My EMG 81's are upside down

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xxlocoxx)
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone,

I own a BC Rich Warlock and I had EMG 81 pickups installed at my local shop, but when I got it home I realised that they were installed upside down (EMG logo on bottom right corner).

I think it looks stupid upside down and just wanted to know if there was a technical purpose for installing them upside down and if I take them out and turn them around will I still get the same sound for the pickups.

Cheers
Jimmy

(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

If you hold the guitar up and look at it directly the EMG lable should be right side up. Is your's like that? If not take it back or you can turn them around yourself. If the shop screwed up they probably screwed up wiring the ground to the bridge too. EMG says not to do that. Send me a pic if you want and I'll help you if you can.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

All you have to do is unhook the pins to the pickups and flip them. If they sound different (worse sounding) then put them back the other way. TA DA fixed...

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

You paid to have the job done right. Take it back & have them fix their mistake or demand a refund. Frankly, I would get a refund, then take it to another tech - I would not trust the first shop.

ReplyQuote
(@xxlocoxx)
Topic starter  

Hey guys just an update,

I cracked the s**ts last night and decided to pull the pickups out and see why he put them around the wrong way. :idea:

Well I couldnt see any reason for them being upside down so I just turned them around, adjusted all the wires so nothing was kinked and screwed them back up.
The only adjustment I had to make was to give the pickup riser screw half a turn as the Thin E string was hitting when I played in between the 20th and 24th fret.

The pickups still sound the same as before and it looks 100% better, I even gave her a full detail, you would be supprised how much gunk gets under the pickup surrounds. :shock:

Thanks for all your help guys and keep on rocking! :twisted:

Jimmy

ReplyQuote