Books

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

I've just come up on my one year of playing and like to think i can do a little something.. Im starting to work with arpeggios and understand why this works with that etc. Also my technique is improving and i can play a couple solos after working at them

I was wondering what a good resource for lead playing and jamming in general would be. I know that the key to jamming is the ear, and that only comes with practice. But i also know there are many good techniques that can cut the time of this process. So if anyone could recommend a good book that can really get me goin in the right direction, that would be very helpful.

thanks

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Check out the lessons section of guitarnoise, they have alot of exellent stuff.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'll toss in here the idea that it depends on what kind of thing you're going for.

For improvised blues-rock solos, I'd say you'd be best off finding some jam tracks and start to get a feel for what feels good where, then work on making up melodies within a key and realizing them on the guitar. If you're going for a more planned method, I'd say you were probably well on your way, continue developing your theory knowledge and practice writing.

In either case, it wouldn't hurt to have both some good resources on theory at your disposal and some jam tracks, both of which can be found at your local music store. If you don't have an instructor, I would recommend finding one, as they are often good resources: they play a little rhythm while you lead, then they tell you what you need to work on.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

Hi Rip This Joint.

This is a link to a review of my book PlaneTalk written by Nick. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Kirk

Kirk

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

I read something in a magazine were they interviewed Trey Anastasio (formely of the Phish) and he said that sometimes he will play to a specific person in the audience,like in the back. I tryed this once with a guy rocking out when I wasplaying something, and it did work. I could feel my dynamics and articulation change with his body movements and mood. Very strange the connection between audience and performer.

But when it comes right down too it, I find that visualizing a certain place helps me when omprovising. For you it might be different places or people. FOr major keys, I think of a tropical island setting. FOr minor keys, I visualize my friends. For blues and pentatonic, I imagine fooling around with the oposite sex.That might sound a little bit taboo but I find it really helps me be more expressive.

just some ideas
rock on

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Kyle, that's one of the more unique approaches I've heard to soloing, Maybe I'll give some of that a shot, though some of it sounds a little odd at the moment... :shock:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks
i guess it just comes down to my technique then applying the right theory... then of course i wont need to use it
plane talk looked alright, are there any other suggestions for books on playing lead and developing a good feel

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

planetalk

give us a link to your book in pdf or at least some preview of it ??

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

Kyle,

Why do you think of your friends when performing in a minor key? Are they all sad most of the time?

:wink:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

itziks,

I don't think you are going to get Kirk to give you a preview of his book.

I was very skeptical of anything that describes itself as a secret and didn't want to spend money on it myself.

But I did buy it yesterday and it does give you a fairly easy way to breakdown the fretboard.

It's similar but not as complex as Fretboard Logic but I really don't think reading either book is going to help you solo.

Knowing the fretboard is obviously a huge plus in being able to solo, but just because you know where the note are of the scale patterns doesn't necesarily mean your going to come up with an interesting solo.

All that will do is get you in the correct key, then it's up to you to string those notes together and come up with a memorable solo. Most of that just comes from trial and error, at least in my opinion.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote