Clear all

Boss gt-8 arrives tomorrow.

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I bought a boss gt-8 off of ebay and it arrives tomorrow. Oh the anticipation :D

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I hope you like it. Make sure to give us a review once you've played with it for awhile. I've had the GT-6 for a few years, and have been very happy with it. Congrats!

8) Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Awesome, Congrats Andrew.

I've had one over 6 months now and I absolutely love mine. Give your self plenty of time to get used to it.. I still haven't totally figured mine out yet, but the TS and other features are great.

If you don't know about yet, there is this site:

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/

Go into the forums and they have one specifically for PATCH Sharing.
You'll need to get Mr Sleepys GT8 Patch Editor, Free, that's an awesome applette and if you don't have one, get a MIDI to USB Cable. Then you can instantly load patches or make changes with the editor. He's done a fabulous job with that software, but why Boss/Roland hasn't come out with one is everyone's question.

Also that guy KewlPack has a great site aswell with a bunch of different patches.

Another guy...Tee-Jay has produced a DVD on how to "DRIVE" your GT-8... its relatively cheap yet very valuable.

Good luck and have fun with that thing.

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats, that thing looks like a monster!

I've got a used compressor pedal on the way ... not quite as exciting. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I just got my Digitech GNX3000 delivered last weekend...I thought about the GT-8, but went with the little bit cheaper GNX3000...so don't make your review too amazing so I don't beat myself up too much for my decision :wink: ...seriously though, I've been having a blast with my GNX for the last week and I'm sure you'll get just as captivated as I have! Let me know if you find anything really cool to do with it that I might try on the GNX too :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

An interesting question -

Are all the effects useble in the GT-8 or the Digitech GNX...

Eg. Do we get good quality basic effects like drive , reverb , chorus , eq , wah...so that buying of them individually can be ruled out ?

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

An interesting question -

Are all the effects useble in the GT-8 or the Digitech GNX...

Eg. Do we get good quality basic effects like drive , reverb , chorus , eq , wah...so that buying of them individually can be ruled out ?

Rahul... that's why I bought mine. If I bought the seperate Pedals (included in the GT-8 ) Blus OD, OD, Distortion (DS1 or DS2), Metal Zone then If I got the EQ Pedal, the Delay Pedal, the Flanger Pedal and a Wah Pedal.. I'm out more than double what the GT8 costs.

In addition to that, the GT-8 has some very very good/capable amp models and with the COSM (branding) they tout and rightly so, you can have them play as MONO (channel A>B) seperate or in Stereo (best result with a slight delay 'tween the two). But you need headphones or PC audio or Monitors (two speakers) to get the stereo effect. Imagine having a Clean on the left and a vintage Marshall '59 plexi on the right. It sounds very cool.

Also there's DYNAMIC switching where you can dial up a clean sound in A then if you play harder or turn up your guitar's volume it will switch to the B Channel automatically and you can dial up dirt (plus other effects) on that side. And YES..the dynamic switching capabilities(sensitivity) can be adjusted.

Also there are other Distortion effects, Tube Screamer, Fuzz, Big Muff and others.

If your really interested go to the Bossus.com site they have a pretty cool demo video (two of them) that runs through some of what this thing can do.

I can't say enough about it...obviously.... :roll: :roll:

But as mentioned above the reason I got it was the versatility of most if not all the boxes Boss has to offer in one package without the expense of seperate bits.

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I'm sure the purists will tell you that no computer chip can ever to full justice to a vintage, hard-wired pedal...and they might well be right...but, speaking for the GNX3000, you can use any of the effects by themselves (distortion, flange, wah, etc) and I think they sound pretty good. Actually, that's one of the main reasons that I wanted to get a guitar station in the first place, to get all of the effects without all of the pedals. Andrew, you have to let us know about the GT-8 tomorrow!

EDIT: Sorry Dagwood, didn't know you were posting at the same time that I was...didn't mean to repeat you there

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok so it's here. It's pretty amazing, I have been playing with the preset patches for the last hour and they are pretty sweet. I'll try to have some pictures (ok, so pictures on a pedal don't really matter that much) and a better review tomorrow after I have more time to play with it. I haven't even gotten to the manual yet :p

I got it for about 380 (including shipping) off of ebay. So I don't think it was a bad deal.

ReplyQuote
(@derecola)
Trusted Member

Man you going to have some fun with that.I stopped into Sam Ash yesterday and there was one on those Digitech RP7 for $45.00 so I picked it up and I'm going to use it as a headphone toy for the bedroom.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Pictures matter , but what really everyone would like to hear are the sound bytes of your new GT-8. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@derecola)
Trusted Member

WE WANT SOUND BYTES...... :P

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, so here is my review.

Basically I can only review certain parts. Like I can't say much for the preamps. They are definately fun to play with through the headphones and through my stereo but I haven't gotten them to sound that good through my amp (epiphone valve junior) but this is really to be expected (running a preamp through another preamp obviously isn't a good idea so they have the 4 cable method to deal with this (run your preamp through the effects loop and when you want to use their preamps run them straight into the power amp). So I turned off the preamps and I mainly played with the effects. There are a ton of them and they are all really configurable. Like for distortions I have 10 main categories of distortions and there is about three different models under each category like OD (T-Scream, OD-1, and Warm OD) or Fuzz (60's Fuzz, Muff Fuzz, and Oct Fuzz). And all the distortions/od effects have settings I can tweak like bottom, tone, effect level, and drive. There are a lot of other effects (all the main ones like chorus, reverb, delay, compressors, and my favorite so far the wah) plus there are some really funky ones like slicer (ok, so it sounds funky to me), humanizer, a harmonizer, a wave synth, and a ton of others. The effect chain is completely configurable and you can choose where you want to place the effects. It is actually kind of overwhelming and I still don't understand it fully (I haven't really read the manual that thouroghly yet). So basically I would say it is worth getting even if you don't plan to use the preamp models which are really powerful as well.

On a final note the dual channel thing is sweet and the dynamic picking thing is actually cool (you pick lightly it's clean, pick hard and it's distorted, or you could set it up so when you pick hard it has delay and when you pick lightly it has a different delay. The possiblities are pretty endless).

ReplyQuote