Clear all

Buying guitars online?

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A friend gave me a cheap messed up amp, and with the help of my father I was able to get it to work pretty well. Now all I need is an electric. . .
I've been to a bunch of guitar stores around where I live, but I really can't find anything that appeals to me- all the cheap guitars in my price range are strats or strat copies, which I am frankly sick of after playing my brother's and my friends. I like the looks of the Dean Evo and Rondo LP copies, but I can't find any of those to play- I can only find them on eBay or an online store.
Does anyone have any experience with buying guitars online (thru stores, eBay, etc)? I would love to try this out, but I want to hear if anyone has had any problems buying online. Thanks!

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I bought my first guitar online - ebay, in fact.

The guitar was posted by a dealer but I still got it at an excellent price. (Sorry, it's a strat-copy). The dealer ship an HSS version instead of the 3 single coils I bid on, but they bent over backward to make it right to my satisfaction.

The guitar itself is in beautiful condition, I was very pleased with the quality of the guitar. That sentiment was shared by a number of experienced guitarists I know.

I've had absolutely no complaints, but then again, I was probably lucky. I think now I would prefer to play any guitar before buying.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

What country are you in?

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have had very good luck with on-line purchases. I was reluctant at first but as long as you go into it with the thought that you may have to send it back if you don't like it then you will do fine. Also remember that if you purchase it from a local shop you will typically get a setup with it and the on-line version will just have the factory setup. Worst case scenario you may need to take it into a shop for a setup which adds about $50 to the price unless you do it yourself.

It does help if you know what you want when you order it and have had the luxury of trying it out before hand to have a comparison.

My order of preference for on-line purchase is:

http://www.music123.com
http://www.musiciansfriend.com
http://www.samedaymusic.com

then eBay

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm from Indiana, U.S.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

I ordered my first guitar from Musician's Friend almost 2 years ago, an Ibanez GRX-40. I ordered a blue one, got a red one the first time. Sent it back to them (they paid), got the new one and it was also red. By this point I was so anxious to start playing that I called them and ranted for awhile. I told them I'd keep the guitar (which in fact I liked more than the blue, but at the time I returned the first guitar just out of principle), but I wanted some kind of compensation for my time and the ultimately fumbled order. They ended up taking 10-15% off my total order, can't remember exactly.

Moral of the story: Bad shopping experience online, but ended up ok. I don't think I'll ever buy a guitar online again though; best idea is to play it before you buy it.

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I've never bought online, but I'll add my $.02 in that the Dean Evos are rock solid guitars. I don't know if you've played on, but I've had my hands on a few. I've never come across a bad one. One needed a set up but other than that, they were all very solid instruments.

Hope that counts for something....

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I recently bought a Fender Strat from Music123.com, and it came without a scratch on it, and setup beautifully. I'll definately buy from them again.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I've bought lots of stuff including guitars from Musicians Friend and Music 123. I've never had a problem, never sent anything back.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've bought a bunch of guitars online, and been happy with all but one, which had some problems. I sent it back and it was replaced, no sweat. Check the return policy before you buy.

As for Rondo, my absolute favorite guitar is one of their Agile AS-820 semihollowbodies with P-90s, and my son's got one of their mutant goldtops with three P-90s. They're both great guitars, beautifully made and finished, perfectly set up and great players. The goldtop (due to its nonstandard pickup arrangement, no doubt) came with the pots miswired, which should've been caught. Kurt offered to take it back for an exchange, but no way was I going to send it back. I just wanted a wiring diagram. He shipped me a whole factory wiring harness for it. So they do stand behind their guitars when there's a problem.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I have bought on line and been very happy. In fact I have a custom Carvin that was shipped yesterday, come on UPS! Bought lots from musicains friends and been very satisified.

John M

ReplyQuote