Skip to content
can a capo help me ...

Notifications
Clear all

can a capo help me with this progression?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Greetings all

I am desperate to learn A Town Called Malice by the Jam. But there is a big problem - here's the chord shapes -
Chords:
B E6 F# E D#m7 A#m G#m

7 9 9 7 6 6 4
7 9 11 9 7 6 4
8 9 11 9 6 6 4
9 9 11 9 8 8 6
9 7 9 7 6 8 6
7 x x x x 6 4

Given that my barre chords are, how can i best put it, absolute cr*p, is there a way that I can play this with a capo that might get me out of jail?

Where's David Hodge when i need him???????

Thanks for any thoughts

Matt

(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

Just tried that out using a capo, doesn't work too well, there are some pretty big stretchs and chords don't sound that good, your best bet is to just practice your barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Why not tune down a semitone?

Those chord become:

C, F6, G, F, Em7, Bm and Am respectively.

Sound easier?

Best,

A:-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Alan's idea is a good one.

If you're in the mood to capo, all you need to do is to transpose. When I see something in B, my first reaction is to put the capo on the second fet. This would make your chords all one step lower:

A D6 E D C#m G#m F#m

There's still a lot do deal with there, right? So let's try putting the capo on the fourth fret and lowering our chords one more full step:

G C6 D C Bm F#m Em

Now that's a lot better! Particularly since it's easy to cheat on both Bm (XX0432) and F#m (202222, which is technically F#m7 but should still sound fine).

C6, by the way, is C, E, G and A. You can play it with X32210 fingering or you can use an Am7 (002010 - which has the same notes) as a fairly acceptable substitute.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Gentlemen

You never cease to amaze me with creative solutions to any problem that's placed in front of you.

Many many thanks!!!!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

David

Just one question - so to play it capoed at 4 with "your" chords, do I tune down to

d
a
f
c
a
d

Is that right??? Sorry to ask a seemingly simple question but I want to get this right.

Thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I think your going to stay in standard tuning. The capo will do the "work" fore you.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Matt

A & L is right. You just stay in standard tuning. The G chord, since you've got the capo on the fourth fret, automatically becomes your B chord. There's no need to change anything.

Peace

ReplyQuote