Clear all

Can anyone play this? Oo

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

First of all, you need Powertabs to view this tab... (if you haven't downloaded this yet, you won't regret it 8) )

Anyway... using powertabs, I've been eyeing this tab - Tifa's Theme An listening to the tab... (using powertab) and I can't quite beigin to fathom playing this practically... :?

I'd like opinions on how to play this... and around how much experience you suggest might need before even attempting to play this tab :?: (or if you think it's not possible, for the normal person, please justify)

If you reply, thanks if advance :P

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I don't think I could play it as written.

My guitar only has 22 frets :lol:

Seriously, it looks like it might have originally been written for piano.
Those massive jumps across a couple of octaves are pretty straightforward on a keyboard, but it forces us guitar players to move 20 frets in the time of a 16th note.... Not impossible, but definitely not first year stuff.

Man, I get dizzy looking at all those ledger lines above the staff... :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I don't think I could play it as written.

My guitar only has 22 frets :lol:

Seriously, it looks like it might have originally been written for piano.
Those massive jumps across a couple of octaves are pretty straightforward on a keyboard, but it forces us guitar players to move 20 frets in the time of a 16th note.... Not impossible, but definitely not first year stuff.

Man, I get dizzy looking at all those ledger lines above the staff... :lol:

Just for the notice... it IS written for the piano :D But I love how it sounds so... I'm trying at least xD

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I would say some may be able to play it after 2 years, maybe 2 and a half.

Very pretty, never heard it before.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Well...Theres a few ways you can compromise to get it done. Notes that are out of reach - some you would have to play in a different octave eg:

--17-------
--2--------
--2--------

becomes:

--5---
--2---
--2---
Or you could tap the out of reach notes, or use octave tapping. And there may be chords were you can leave out a note or two...or three from wat the tab says, if seems to difficult or too quick - notes which only serve to give a fuller sound

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering... is there anyone in this here forum who can play this? :?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The tab is not playable on guitar.

The first thing I notice is the E strings aren't Es. The first string, ok, it's tuned to G to extend the range up - that I can believe. It puts the highest note in the piece, G (in measure 58 ), within the range of a 24 fret guitar. [edit: put a space in after 58, avoiding 58)]

But the 6th string is dropped to C. As in dropped a TENTH. As in... you'd have to use the low E string from a bass, and then drop the tuning even more!

Even if you could get such a massive string through your tuning peg, guitars have a shorter scale length than basses - which means less string tension, which means that puppy will be flopping around like a dying trout.

Guitars aren't built for that range - almost six octaves, about 50% more than normal. The piece itself doesn't have that much range - it's under five octaves. I'm sure whoever tabbed this started out with a reasonable 6th string, but realized parts wouldn't be playable - like the first note in measure 60... in standard tuning (with high G), that would require one note fretted at the 4th fret, and the other two at the 19th. So to make it 'playable' they kept dropping the tuning of the 6th string until the notes were 'in reach'.

Nice concept, but you'll never get a guitar to play it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

^ lol yup - I didn't realize it was in an alternate tuning until you asked if anyone could play it, and then I tried, checked the tuning, but was worried the higher ones would snap, and the low E was too floppy.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well thanks for the reply people :D I guess I'll have to give up on playing that song... on the guitar
I guess I'll actually have to print it out and play it on the piano :?

You have my respect, oh great guitar sage :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't give up on it entirely. Even though some notes are out of range, you can transpose them an octave (or even two!) and play a pretty decent rendition of it.

There are plenty of pieces in the classical guitar repertoire that are transpositions of piano pieces that aren't playble as a 'dead on' rendition of the original - but a lot stuff like Chopin Mazurkas and whatnot are made playable by careful re-arranging.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I second NoteBoat. Don't give up on a song because it wasn't written for the guitar . Arrange it yourself . If something has to be left out , so be it . The whole idea is to play the song because you like it .
I play in a three piece band , guitar , bass , and drums . Lynyrd Skynyrd was a seven piece band (ten if you count the three back-up singers) . My band plays songs by Lynyrd Skynyrd and people enjoy listening to us . It is quite obvious that there are some parts left out from the original recording when we play it . But the necessary parts are there . If you play it well , people will like it and more importantly , you will enjoy it .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There are also lots of pedals that will allow you to play 1 or 2 octaves above or below the notes on your guitar.

Pitch Shifters

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use a couple of those at times (one set for fifths, another for octaves). But I don't think they're the answer here - because in the score you need to shift just one tone of an interval pretty frequenty.

ReplyQuote