Clear all

Can't Decide

27 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. Recently I've been thinking about buying my first electric guitar, that way I'll have both acoustic and electric to choose from depending on the song I want to play. My problem is that I really have no clue which guitar to buy. I was hoping you could help me out and recommend some guitars for me to look at. I have been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Special II and the Epiphone LP-100. My one friend told me that the Special II was crap but since I'm new to guitar I really have no idea what's worth looking at and whats not. Oh, and if you're wondering if I have a price limit I would like to try and spend around or below $300. Seeing as how this is my first electric I don't need anything too fancy. Just something to practice on. Any help would be really appreciated. And if you have any suggestions on a decent practice amp to go with the guitar that would really help too. I hope my question's not too "out there". Just looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance! :D

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Wellcome to GN maddmodder :D Lots of ways you can go here, I like the fender squier black and chrome Tele ( the standard) Its about $200 and sounds great. You should get your bad self to the music store and try out some guitars and see what sounds and feels right to you :D Here is my baby--

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

check out the Agiles at Rondo music, supposed to be very good for the money

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Heya Maddmodder and welcome to GN. 8)

I went through this process not all that long ago. And the best advice I can give you is do as Smokindog says and get yourself down to your local music store. I would suggest trying a number of different guitars in your price range even the ones that don't initially grab you.

And don't worry too much if you're worried about 'trying' them out. Often you can get a room to try them out in (depending on the store) and besides, even just holding the guitar and getting a feel for it will help.

I speak from experience here. I was pretty scared of trying out the guitars due to my limited playing experience but once I got over that and didn't give a toss what anyone around me thought, it was well worth it. And I ended up with a Squire Tele Custom II, which was the last guitar I expected to end up with. :o

Good luck mate. :)

Oops, forgot to mention an amp. I have the Roland Mini Cube. It seems to do the job really well and for a good price. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

Welcome My friend to GN.if you haven't already noticed i like to say GIIT SNAKE BIT alot. just a warning. and for starters, iwould go with that gibson because well it rocks. and for amps if you like rock and distortion, you going to get a Crate practice amp. thats what i got and its what i still...got. oh and GIT SNAKE BIT

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey! Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'll definitely try to get up to the music store this weekend and try out a few guitars. I'll keep an eye out for the guitars you all suggested and try to play 'em all. Hawkfoggy, which Gibson did you mean? The Special II or the LP-100? Again, thanks for your replies so far! :D

EDIT: A question just popped into my head and I figured I didn't want to double post so here it goes: Could someone elxplain the whole Squire thing? I saw that it said "Squire by Fender" and I got kind of confused. So is Squire sort of like the lower priced alternative to Fender's high priced guitars or am I totally on the wrong track? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member

EDIT: A question just popped into my head and I figured I didn't want to double post so here it goes: Could someone elxplain the whole Squire thing? I saw that it said "Squire by Fender" and I got kind of confused. So is Squire sort of like the lower priced alternative to Fender's high priced guitars or am I totally on the wrong track? Thanks!

Yes, Squier is Fender's lower-end line. They're good for starting out, my first electric was a Squier Affinity Strat Pack..with amp too, around $400.00. I don't know if I would recommend it...it was good for starters. Typically, Squiers have a bad rep (am I right?), but I guess around here, people see something in them :P

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, thats what I thought. I was actually impressed with Squiers line-up. I did a little research on Musicians Friend and found a nice Affinity Series Fat Strat. I liked the looks of it and you can't beat the price. I'll hafta see if my local Music-Go-Round has any to try out. What do you guys think? If you want I could post a link.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

If your going to look at Squiers I would stick to the standard series. They should last you a bit longer. Also, don't be afraid to buy your first guitar USED. It will save you a bunch of cash, and I'm telling you know, you will, over time become unsatisfied somehow in your tone. If you go to the local guitar store look at new guitars, and if you find something you like, look in the used stuff. If that is to no avail play other stuff in the used section before you get something new. The money you save can be put towards a good amp. I recommend the Epi Valve series, because they are affordable tube amps.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I would second duffmaster in that the Standards are a grade up from the affinity series. I have a 89 fender standard strat and my Squier standard tele compares favorably to it.--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member

Before buying any guitar, check out the reviews on Harmony-Central, if you haven't already:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been thinking and this question came to me today:

How long should I play before I go out and buy another guitar? I mean I don't think I've had my acoustic for more than 2 months. Yeah I can play it but not very well. Should I wait and get better on the acoustic and then buy an electric or would it be better to have both? Sorry if I'm not making much sense but I'm in one of those weird "questioning everything" moods today. What do you guys think I should do?

Also, I got down to the music store today and I noticed they had a lot of Stagg guitars. I wanted to play one of the Strat copies but I couldn't get up the courage to check it out. :D Anybody have any experience with Stagg? I looked on Harmony Central and the comments weren't too great so I was wondering if anybody here could share their experiences.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Just wanted to ad one thing: Do NOT overlook the Squire '51 model guitars. I think it is a perfect first electric. You get a good quality guitar and one that is configured to get just about any sort of sound you want. Very nice, especially if you are unsure what sort of sound you are looking for.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. Just looked 'em up and it looks really nice and the price is amazing! I really like the 2-tone sunburst finish. Another possible guitar I can add to my list! :D

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Wellcome to GN maddmodder :D Lots of ways you can go here, I like the fender squier black and chrome Tele ( the standard) Its about $200 and sounds great. You should get your bad self to the music store and try out some guitars and see what sounds and feels right to you :D Here is my baby--

You don't know how jealous I am right now!

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2