Clear all

How am I...Guitaring?

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys i've been playing for 1 1/2 years and i wanted to know how am i ...guitaring. i feel like i kind of suck. heres what i can do. also if you have any more ideas on what i should be able to do go ahead and tel me

all pentatonics,aolian,ionian,almost all chords except diminished and audumented,alot of songs i've figured out,More than a feeling by Boston, Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama, almost all strumming paterns,5 live shows, piano,bass,12string and acustic guitar,sing,all chromatic scales, uh i think thats it.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

The only way we would really know how you are doing is to hear your playing. If youre smart, you'll know if you suck or not. If you feel like you suck, then work harder.

What you should be able to do after 1 1/2 years greatly depends on your goals, how much you practice each day and alot of other factors...

For example, B.B. King has been playing for longer than I have been alive. But, theres at least three guys on my block alone (not including myself) that can strum chords with more precision than he can. D'you see where im coming from?

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member

Have you just started music for 1 1/2 years? Or is that just guitar?

Because if that is a fresh start into music, then that's a really good job.

I don't know why you feel like you suck if you can do all of the above. Maybe work on becoming a better musician by listening to the other people you are playing with? (anticipate and understand the flow of the music, resolutions, chord progressions, feed off of the other players, good communication, etc). You probably do this already, but try playing along with a variety of songs and different types of music, be it strumming along, soloing, etc., and try to figure out the chord progression on your own, without resorting to tab.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I thinking "sucking" is very subjective. I think I can play well, not as well as some famous guitar heros, but better then the girl down the street. So in some ways I may suck, but in others I don't.

There isn't a set place that you should be after any amount of time. You failed to mention techniques. Hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, vibratos, all relatively easy skills that may be more beneficial then knowing piles of scales.

Set a goal, and work towards it. If you accomplish this goal, you don't suck, if you don't accomplish it, keep trying until you do.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

well, I think I'm pretty good and I basically can't do anything out of the two lines you posted :)

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

If you think you suck you probably do (but it doesn't sound like you do). The one deficiency I see is no mention of serving an apprenticeship under a Master Luthier and being able to execute simple herringbone banding or hand engraving pearl and abalone inlays. Keep at it and I'm sure your guitaring will improve over the next year or so.

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

sounds like you're doing well for 1.5 yrs. i don't know what a scale was till 3yrs after i started playing.

maybe you think you suck because you're not playing as smooth as you like.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you are doing fine.
however, dont change nouns into verbs. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have you just started music for 1 1/2 years? Or is that just guitar?

Because if that is a fresh start into music, then that's a really good job.

I don't know why you feel like you suck if you can do all of the above. Maybe work on becoming a better musician by listening to the other people you are playing with? (anticipate and understand the flow of the music, resolutions, chord progressions, feed off of the other players, good communication, etc). You probably do this already, but try playing along with a variety of songs and different types of music, be it strumming along, soloing, etc., and try to figure out the chord progression on your own, without resorting to tab.yeah i started music 1.5 years ago. and thanks :D :D :D

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

lol...you sound better than me!

ReplyQuote