Clear all

Capo For 12 String

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Tak G series 12 string, when I put my capo on it There is always a couple of muted strings, usually high G or similar.I use a Kyser capo. My friend lent me his Kyser capo designated a 12-04 but I still get dull thuds unless the capo is positioned perfectly. To be honest I see no difference in the design of the two capos or the results. The spring seems like the same guage, tension etc. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what type of capo you bought to solve it?
Robbie

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hi Robbie. Sorry I can't help - I use the Kyser 12-string capo and have no trouble with it at all, on any of my guitars (12 or 6 string.) I can't think of why you'd get a thud unless you are putting it on top of the fret. Have you tried your capo on another guitar?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yes I use it all the time on my 6 string accoustic,works fine. As I said the muted dtrings are the high notes of the set like the high G. Just doesn't seem to be enough pressure on the capo to press down the steel string with the wound string beside it.I don't place the capo on the fret but about a 1/4 inch above it, ie the nut side of the fret. Thanx anyway

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Your description of the sound and which strings are doing it suggests that somehow they're not making good contact with the fret that you've capoed at. I'm not really familiar with a Kyser, but I think it's sliding those strings to one side as it goes into place. I'd suggest getting it lined up right behind the fret, and then easing it down onto the strings so the bar of the capo is straight across the neck, and the strings are "straight up and down."
Over the years, I've used several different types of capo on my old Yamaha acoustic twelver: "Bill Russell" elastic model, Jim Dunlop "lever action", and a mostly-metal Wittner. The Wittner ( http://www.mainmusic.nl/mainmusic.asp?shopprodukt=544 ) was the one most in need of having centered the padded part that holds the back of the guitar neck. Otherwise it could drag strings out of position as it settled down on them.
All of those had their good and bad points, but now I've got a Shubb that I bought specifically for 12-string. Works good. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yea keyser here also on a Tak G series 12. no problems at all, just practice a bit you'll get it :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Went to a music store the other day and they recommended a shubb which has adjustible tension. Works great, a few more bucks than the keyser but worth it in my opinion. No more dead sounding strings! The keyser is easier to clip on and move so will use it for the six string.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Thanks Robbie, I had the same problem with my Dean acoustic twelve! The problem with mine is that the neck is huge and wide and my kyser didn't do a good job, it wouldn't cover all the strings. I'm going to find me a shubb and give it a shot.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote