Carvin Guitars...Dribble worthy?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,
I've just stumbled upon the Carvin website n found they have an amazingly affordable semi custom service. They have a set of basic models at (the ones im looking at) $750-$1200...You then just choose from a ton of customization options...I mean, ebony fretboard, neck thru, great finish, great hardware for like $1350...It almost seems too good to b true. So are they actually any good?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Carvins have a very good reputation.

One of these days I will win their weekly $250 gear giveaway, and I'll use that toward one of their kits.

;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

They do make some really nice looking guitars.

I would love to own one but I can't justify the expense at the moment and I don't think I'm good enough a player yet to justify it.

Until both these criteria are fulfulled I shall continue to dribble. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@davidp)

Carvin makes some really beautiful guitars. Someday I'd love to have one of the basses. They have an excellent satisfaction policy: try the guitar for 10 days and if you're not happy they'll refund your money no questions aksed. You'd only be out the shipping.

I have a Carvin Cobalt C250 acoustic that I love. The Cobalt acoustics are built in Korea but final setup is done in San Diego as they are ordered. My first Cobalt was damanged in shipping (cracked x-brace but the guitar was still in tune when I took it out of the case!) and Carvin quickly had UPS pick it up and sent me a new one. Their customer service people were great.

ReplyQuote
(@power-chord)
Trusted Member

Joe Walsh plays a Carvin

Lifes been Good To Me So Far

RANDY RHOADS 1956- 1982
DIME- 1966-2004

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A Carvin Koa fretless 5-string bass has been on my wish list for several years now...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=CT6M

Beautiful guitar.

The story with carvin: They ship directly from factory, cutting the price by A LOT. I've heard from my former guitar teacher that they are just as nice as PRS's, but half the cost. I've always wanted to get one, but with a Gibson Les Paul I can't justify it...By justify it, I mean I don't have the money for it, otherwise I'd get it. ha.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

wow. Take a lookski at some of these!
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery.html

Who needs kids?! When I get my Carvin it'll be my baby!

Also check this out:
http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/csgen/JCFCustomShop.htm

Using that I've managed to come up with a very close approximation of what my Carvin will look like (assuming its in budget :lol: )

[/img]

...In fact I'll probably end up geting gold pickup covers too...or pickup rings :? bah, i dunno!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I started out with a MIM strat over a year ago, and then passed on every instance of GAS for guitars, since I thought I wanted to get something that was a real keeper, rather than a bunch of different guitars. Eventually, I settled on a Carvin, because I could really get a customized guitar that is roughly in the PRS category, with the options and the colors I wanted. So, I bought this beauty:

It is a Carvin CT-6 with a quilt maple top + a few other options.

I really love this guitar. It's got great neck, great fret board, great action, and looks great (IMHO). I am very happy with my choice. But, to some extend, it depends on your philosophy...I think Carvin is really the right answer for you.

You can find a lot more info about carvin on the carvin bulleting boards at carvin bulletin boards and the carvinmuseum.com site mentioned earlier

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I've been playing an AE185 for about three years now and its great. I'm looking into something new, but just because i'm looking to expand my collection a bit, not as a replacement.

In terms of value, no one comes close. They make great stuff. The customer service is a bit of a dice role, I've had many many people who are quite rude, some who were fine. And you have to wait 2 months, but its worth it.

I've played some american strats and LPs in the store, and the strats almost never feel as nice. I know I'm being waaaay general and every guitar takes a bit of getting used to, but carvin definatley makes an instrument that is just as if not better than all the big name companies.

The pickups aren't the greatest for metal, but the new C22s have been redesigned so that might be different now. Overall, a spectacular guitar company

Just some random thoughts, sorry i'm at work and am supposed to be.....working :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

The pickups aren't the greatest for metal, but the new C22s have been redesigned so that might be different now

There are some Mxx pickups which I think are supposed to be more metal oriented. Generally, I would say a lot of the carvin gear (especially the amps) are oriented at high gain situations. Also the DC series (DC-127 etc) seem to be more aimed at heavy rock/metal than the CT series.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Very true. I should have been more specific in my statement. I have the M22SD in the bridge and the M22N in the neck. the N is ok, but I loose things while bending. With distortion, the increased low end on the SD coupled with the semi hollow makes things a bit muddy in the lows. My old teacher would love it, he 's a low end freak, but its not for me.

You're right, though, Carvin is a high gain company. They have Vai, etc. And the new V3, which I hear is all right. Never played through one. I've only experieced the 185, which is NOT a super high gain guitar, although it can sound all right with some distortion.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote