Clear all

Casual or Classical

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Years ago when I started playing for the first time I had a hard time playing in the casual position, both picking and fretting, so I started to play in classical. Then I quit playing for 10 years. Now that I'm back to playing I decided to just play in the casual position only and just get used to it. Problem, I can't find the strings with my picking hand. I'm constantly missing the strings. I never had a problem in classical position, it just looks goofy. Well I was over at the Jackson forum and one of the guys from the UK uploaded a video of him playing and to say the least he was freakin rippin that guitar right up like John Peturcci and playing in classical position.

My question should I go back to playing in classical, I think it's much easier. How many of you play in classical or recommend it?

(@banre)
Reputable Member

I've really been playing seriously for about 9 months now. I had no lessons and naturally evolved to the classical position. Seemed easier to start with. I could see strings, better feel.

My first lesson was this past Monday. The first thing my instructor asked me to change was moving to the casual position. It felt quite awkward at first, but now it's Thursday and it feels just fine. It didn't take me long at all to swap it up.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I naturally gravitated towards the casual position since I play both acoustic and electric and had actually started on electric. I also like to play standing most of the time so it was easier.

I also found it too difficult switching when I did try the classical position for awhile.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if I casually grab my acoustic for a quick diversion I play sitting. I find myself in the classical postion; if I understand the definition.

when I grab my electric for some classic rock and roll I stand and head bang. Id say it is a casual position.

now when I play slide I have to sit as I play lap steel and pedal steel.

when I am really into it my head is bowed over the guitar. that's about all I notice because when I am into it I have no idea or care what is going on with my body....I have left that far behind.
weird when I come to. I have that where have I been in the headlights look.LOL,

you should play in any position that is best suited for you.
dont be burdened with proper.

I remmebr when I was in grade school lefties were thought of as bad. the teacher tied a lefties hand behind his back to teach him the correct right hand method of writing. cruel cruel cruel.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

it depends what guitar im using.... most of my electrics i play in the casual position... except for my Warlock actually, which i suppose is strange. for my steel strings i usually play in the casual position and for my nylon string classical, i find the classical position much better for finger picking.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I started playing an electric, standing and in the casual position. I slowly gravitated towards the classical position mostly in an attempt to finger barre chords. I found that I really prefer to play in the classical position regardless of whether I'm playing electric or acoustic, sitting or standing. Being at the point in my life where I really don't care how it looks, I find it easier and more comfortable to play that way, and I get a better, more consistent tone.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote