Clear all

It took a year and 10 months but.....

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I finally had my first jam session, with a dude I just started working with. I brought a Guitarone mag to work, he told me he played guitar. He plays heavy metal on electric, and light rock on accustic and I play the blues. But I had the most fun I ever had in my life. He's been playing for 5 years and me almost 2. I learned some new speed drills and finger tapping, and different ways to tune. This weekend when I go home the man whom I was supposed to jam a few months ago wants to jam onSaturday, he's about 50 and plays James Brown funk/church muisc. I waited almost 2 years to jam with someone looking at the walls, and I'm about to jam with 2 different people in one week, cool 8)

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It sure is some good times when you have someone else to play with.
Congratulations.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Very Very Cool DJ... I'm stoked for you man.

I too am looking for some folks in my part of the world. I'm just feel a bit sheepish cuz I still feel new and I've been playing a year.. :roll: :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Congrats. It is always fun and enlightening that first time out. Glad you had a good time.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I too am looking for some folks in my part of the world. I'm just feel a bit sheepish cuz I still feel new and I've been playing a year.. :roll: :roll:

At first he played some songs, and I was feeling sheepish, but I played Freddie Kings version of Hideway and he thought it the coolest thing ever.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

You'll find most of the more experienced guys are caring, mature, and willing to share. They are also very tolerant. I've been very lucky in the fact that I met my jam buddy Mike not very far into my first year. He has been playing for 20 years, and is responsible for a lot of the improvement in my playing in the last two years. Along with that I've gotten two good friends out of the deal, including his wife Pam.

Congrats DJ enjoy.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

nice man....thats wicked....jamming is my favourite thing in life. My band originated from just fun jam sessions. we jammed so much and one day we were just like...lets do a few gigs. jamming leads to ideas...

keep on rockin man

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is terrific. :D Nothing better than jamming with a partner or group. We had 11 guitarist at my guitar instructors jam last week. Frustrating in a way cause it took so long to get back around to you... but it was sweet sitting back and listening to everyones take on the music.

Just keeping talking guitar and more opportunities will pop up.

Have fun
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I "jam" with a friend of mine about once a month. Always a good time. We teach eachother a couple things we've learned in the past month. Had one other jam-mate, but he moved away. He was also on my baseball team, and father of one of my son's best friends.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

jamming is simply the best. I am happy it is happening for you....and all.
I have been lucky. my oldest friend of thirty years and I jam whenever we see each other. it's harder now because we live in differnet states. still, when we do get together, we pickup up where we left off.

also, there is a cool open jam in my city. every friday in a warehouse basement studio. we've had cellos, saxes, bazoukis and organs and key boards. all played by top notch players.
I was so intimidated my first time there. for no reason at all. there is lots of generousity and support.

I encourage everyone one to find or start a jam. I have learned so much doing that.

anyone near Minneapolis give me a call.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Great stuff! A long time friend and I jam about once a week and it is a blast. He's been playing around 5 years. We just sit around and make up stuff for the most part, although we are looking for a good song for me to do the rhythm and he to do the lead. Anyway, it's the most fun I have playing the guitar and I'm thankful to have a jam partner I've known for over 20 years.

Maybe the website I'm building will help some of the rest of you find someone to jam with!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

cranknjam....I hear ya.

my buddy and I find some beat on the casio or drum machine and have at it.
most tmes we do a cover then it becomes a version , as we play with the tempo.
it's great because both he and I are solid rythym players. we switch leads.
personally, I love playing rythym. I can be a metronome and pound a stady rythym for him to play leads over.

I like the idea of a web site for jams. an international site . how cool would that be.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I fear for everyones safety here at GN, especially the US members. The edges of our country are NO where to live. So.. Lets all move somewhere safer. Maybe Norman, Oklahoma.. yaya Thats a good spot.

Bordem at work is a very BAD thing for message boards. Sorry for the interuption.. Carry on. :lol:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote