Clear all

Cheap 4 track Recorder

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I alreadt posted this in the Studio section, but nobody responded, so.. Has anybody used one of those $99 4 track tape recorders? Could I run the line out of my amp into it? And could I plug an SM57 into directly, or would I need a mixer to do all of this? I'm looking to screw around, maybe get a few ideas down, then rent a recording studio and make the final product for a demo.

Stairway to Freebird!

(@fiskep)
Trusted Member

I've got a Zoom PS-04 that I picked up for about $200. I can plug directly into it and it has a built in mic (not great) but it does have 4 tracks, can bounce them and it is very portable (AA batteries and memory chip for storage). I believe it just has the one 1/4" input (I think you can have a 2nd 1/8" input but I've never tried that).

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

You might see if you can download the manual for the unit you're interested in. That way you can find out before buying it what it can and cannot do. Often times there will be more pictures that may answer your question as well.

Musician's Friend is offering this more and more, and you can always try to find the manufacturers site and download directly.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah.. I'm just thinking because I need something dirt cheap, because I don't even have a electric guitar or a mic!!! I'll probably get an SM57 though. thanks for the help guys.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

BTW what is a good mic for vocals thats cheap? I'm not gonna be gigging in a long time so durability isn't an issue. Would the SM57 I'm planning to buy cut it?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yellow_tangerine)
Eminent Member

For what you want, with that mic, you'll need one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_id/39996

And I'm sure there are mics out there for cheap that will do what you want. I'm looking at this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270490/
It's been compared to an SM58, and, I know it's not the same, but if you don't have much cash, it'll work for ideas.

Also, check this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/240987/
For the price of the recorder and an SM57, you get everything you need to record ideas. Plus, I think this recorder is a notch better than the one you had linked to in the studio forum. You can record more that one track at a time, granted you have more than one mic! :lol: You could get a good singer-songwriter thing going. Also good for jamming with others. It's best not to limit yourself in the beginning with gear. Hope everything works out for you!

If you don't know where you're going,
Any road will take you there

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a whole lot yellow Tangerine.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yellow_tangerine)
Eminent Member

Just returning the favor of all those posts I read in recording forums that gave me the knowledge I have. Knowledge is only good if you use it, right? :D

If you don't know where you're going,
Any road will take you there

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

I have used one of the 4 tracks. I think a mike in front of the amp works better but you could go straight into as long as it is a line out and not a speaker out. I also like to overdub with an added mixer to one channel. Makes for some real neat sounds. The good thing about some of this 4 tracks is once you have your song down, you can connect it to your computer and record right to cd. Though quality is lacking a little. Definitely need some recording software for good quality. Hope this helps.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote