Clear all

classical guitar audition

31 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nuno: That looks very useful, but I must say for the price range a laptop could be purchased and software could do the same thing (likely with a larger display area).
I completely agree! :D
A Tablet PC or something similar if you want to keep the "touch" feature.

In fact, I'd buy an American Strat for the price! :lol:

I liked the initial solution (tape) and also the Alan's one. My stand has a similar thing: a couple of sticks. When you put a book on it, you use each stick on a part (page). I think it is the same thing that Elecktra has in her stand.

I proposed this alternative because really I didn't understand the Sapho's problem. First I think he is asking for situations and/or experiences, then for solutions...

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks so much Elektra for your understanding and support.
I'll post a reply to your message.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Nuno: That looks very useful, but I must say for the price range a laptop could be purchased and software could do the same thing (likely with a larger display area).
I completely agree! :D
A Tablet PC or something similar if you want to keep the "touch" feature.

In fact, I'd buy an American Strat for the price! :lol:

I liked the initial solution (tape) and also the Alan's one. My stand has a similar thing: a couple of sticks. When you put a book on it, you use each stick on a part (page). I think it is the same thing that Elecktra has in her stand.

I proposed this alternative because really I didn't understand the Sapho's problem. First I think she is asking for situations and/or experiences, then for solutions...

I think the thing that is escaping some of you about the stand(s) is the fact that, in order to feel "ready" to audition, she needs to have all 6 pages of sheet music spread out before her so that she can start at the beginning and work her way to the end. It's not always feasible to have a computer or prompter. In a lot of auditions you have to use sheet music. Period. So, she was asking how to accomplish having her 6 pages of taped together sheet music spread out before her from page one to page six without it hanging off the sides of her stand(s) or blowing away in an outdoor setting (which is what she has coming up).

We're not talking about a rock band audition but more of an orchestral type audition. I don't know how many of you have experienced that sort of thing, but they can be extremely picky and particular about the manner in which the musician presents him/herself and what sort of "props" they use (i.e., computers, prompters). Most want to know that the musician has the ability to sight read musical notation (not tablature) correctly and most feel that the only way to accomplish that is to see (and hear) them do it. (I had to do this twice a year every year for 9 years in order to become (and maintain) first chair clarinetist in an orchestral setting.)

That's why my suggestion was to "enlarge" her surface area on her stand(s) in order to accomodate 6 pages of sheet music. In a lot of auditions, that's about the only way she's going to be able to accomplish what she's setting out to do.

I hope I don't sound too preachy, but I figured that we all need to be on the same page and understand where Sapho is coming from, and to understand that by trivializing her problem (which is a real problem) we are, in effect, trivializing her. I just wish that some people would ask questions before they post offhand remarks about something they don't understand because they jumped to a conclusion rather than finding out the facts.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm very sorry if I didn't understand so well the problem. The Elecktrablue's explanation confirms my initial idea. When I said:
Probably, it depends on the piece and the classical interpreter... I have several friends who play classical works. All of them have studies in music. I guess they could continue playing.

I was refering to a small group (over 20 musicians) who play mainly zarzuela (they are the orchestra of a company). There aren't guitarist there. Several strings (violin, viola, etc.), several wind instruments, percussion, and lately a piano.

The conductor is a good friend of mine and his main instrument is the piano. Sometimes he also offers some recitals. Usually I talk him about my habits and how can I improve my learning. Also he explains me some theory and recommends a lot of theory books that he used during his conservatory years. But I like when he speaks about what happen when they are playing live or rehearsal, or how are the studies in a superior conservatory. If you wish, anecdotes.

Sometimes I also talk to other musicians or even to singers. Some of them are amateurs but some of them are professionals who share his/her "gigs" (I don't know a better word, really zarzuela or opera) with another groups. Some of these professionals have recordings with Deutsche Grammophon.

I think I did a similar question some day to the Sapho's one. (I'm very sorry again, I said "he" previously.) Our conclusion (mainly their conclusion, musicians and singers) was similar to I wrote.

Anyway, Sapho, Elecktrablue and the others: I'm sorry if I misunderstood the problem.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

why do you imagine that your sheet music will blow away? maybe it won't....

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

The audition is in a tent outside. It could be windy! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

Rahul obviously completely misses the seriousness of the situation. I hope he doesn't go into teaching.

Yes, I expected a response like this from those who just wing it as they go.

I have faith that not all guitarists are like Rahul here.

Some of us actually can read music - notation - and actually attain to greater heights of proficiency.

I have faith that this site has an abundance of musicians who appreciate learning from the masters and who respect the wealth of knowledge to be gained from the classics.

While I've developed my own style to some extent I hesitate to join the ranks of those who don't care what a song actually should sound like. I prefer to stay somewhat within the original parameters of a song. Otherwise I might as well do my own songs but at this audition they like a strong dose of familiar covers.

As it's too late before the audition date to absorb these more complicated pieces that require sheet music I've decided not to try it.

I just thought I'd ask about the logistics first. I myself respect those who play from sheet music.
Of course the music world is flooded with those like Rahul here who just don't care.

Oh well, as I carry on still seeking that renewal, that reverence for that certain something special that keeps me going.
GN members have always been respectful and fair in the past. Figures my luck would have to run out just before a stressful audition.Sorry, but I find your response here to be quite rude and uncalled for. In my opinion, you should have the piece memorized unless you were give piece too late to memorize it. Furthermore, there are numerous guitarists who are excellent guitar players and can not read standard notation.

I'm not saying you shouldn't learn it; I'm only saying that it's a myth that one MUST be able to read standard notation in order to be good at the guitar.

I also don't understand why you accused Rahul of being one of the many guitarists who "just don't care." It can't even be reasonably inferred from his post that he just doesn't care.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate Elektra's clarification of what I was trying to ask. I had no doubt that there were many excellent virtuosos on GN - intelligent and articulate in more ways than music and Elektra is a perfect example of one.

I've used the washing line pegs before. I've watched in horror as they've 'pinged' off into the audience but my fears were eased when the people laughed in amusement.

I could stop playing then but this time it's an open air audition so no one's going to be laughing when things don't go smoothly.

Yes it's more a concern about the bending of the long sheet that matters from not fitting on the music stand. I'm going to bring several little book stands and try it with that.

The feedback has been interesting nevertheless and I've learned how wonderful Elektra is which makes it all worth it.

It's off to sleep now, if I can, and up early for the audition.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Break a leg, Sapho!

(And, thanks!)

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Sapho, good luck with the audition. I do understand formality. (you should see our martial arts testing procedure).
under your circumstances, would it not be appropriate to have a page turner accompany you?
I have seen them assist piano and it does not appear inappropriate at all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hi Sapho,

Wishing you all the best for your performance. I was very serious about your question and just meant that your audition should go on. The judges should understand your situation. That's all

Infact, I have encountered your problem myself in a slightly different manner ! I was playing a song at a function and since there was no music stand available, I put the chord sheet on a chair besides me.

And what happens ? That piece of lyrics with chords just blew away. The song was 'Harvest Moon' by Neil Young. I didn't memorise the song well, so I kept playing G Major for 4 bars and messed up all the lyrics. But I didn't stop. I just finished the song somehow. Felt very bad afterwards, as I ruined such a nice song. :oops:

Hence, I learnt a lesson to properly practice the whole song(s) before playing it in front of an audience...

Anyways, other members have given practical suggestions for your problem and I hope it helps you in some manner.

Good Luck. :D

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Yes I considered a page turner as well but the situation was not conducive to spending time on too much set up.
Unfortunately I'll have the same concerns and accompanying stress next year.

I asked the organizer but no music stand was available on site. There was some kind of podium for the announcers but as the mic was taped front and center stage it wasn't of any use to me.

There was another chair on which I could've set up the little book stands but with the judges, audience and organizers staring intently and the clock ticking I could not afford to take even a minute to pull the sheet music and stands out of my backpack and set up.

I spent hours preparing to play songs which are at a proficiency level just a bit higher than where I'm at. It required the sheet music. Therefore once again I felt obliged to play songs that didn't likely satisfy the judges' high expectations.

So it's nice that Rahul clarifies his original comment that he finds my question to be trivial.

Perhaps questions pertaining to the logistics of performing may well be just as serious as those of a more philosophic, theoretical nature.

Of course for those who don't perform solo and/or who have groups of people surrounding them to make sure 'performing conditions are optimal' wouldn't have to worry about these petty, little details.

I've performed at many venues where music stands and sheet music are not an issue. Big, sturdy stands are freely available. It's a given in a musical environment and it's up to the performer whether you choose to use it or not. NO one loses points because of it but I've had brash guys come up to me and tell me they'd never use sheet music. Well,good for them.

Some songs are conducive to staring into the faces of the audience but many can be done tastefully in a recital type atmosphere with sheet music. I like to aim for a more modest presence while perfecting the intricacies of a song. To each his/her own.

Finding optimal conditions will continue to be a challenge. I'd rather just concern myself with the music, theory, rhythm, timing, etc but there's no avoiding the brass tacks of performing especially for a soloist.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can also consider taking your own music stand. I don't think they will stop you from using your own, since they cannot provide you one.

Good Luck and let us know how your audition went.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Maybe I've been reading Rahul's posts for way too long, but I understood exactly what he meant in the original. He wasn't saying your concern was trivial. He was saying that music blowing off the stand isn't a reflection of your performance, it's a reflection of the wind. The judges should acknowledge that. If you substitute wind for a power outage in the auditorium you are playing in, will you be held accountable for the lack of lighting?

As much as it pains me to say it, please ease up on Rahul. That way when he really is a goober it's so much more satisfying to lambast him. :lol:

I'm kidding Rahul, really I am.

So print the pages smaller, clip them down, fold them out, get a hanger for the bottom of an existing stand to put the 3rd and 4th pages on or memorize just the first two pages but do something so you'll feel comfortable playing.

...and as Rahul says...Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

"Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3