Clear all

Keeping myself Active.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So, I go to lessons weekly, for the past couple months we have been working on guitar theory, and I haven't been playing much guitar, because he hasn't been teaching me songs. I find myself in-between beg and inter...I play a lot of Killswitch Engage, and I want to keep myself active, and improve without having him teach me songs. What Metal songs do you recommend for me, that aren't too difficult? And also, I've tried learning songs of different genre's and its really hard, lol. Whats the best way of making the transition from Metal, to Soft Rock/Rock (RHCP or others)? So any good Tabs of songs that aren't too difficult, and I will learn things from would be great, and any advice.

Thanks

blah.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

being able to switch genres, like metal to soft rock, is made easier by understanding the basic structure of those songs. for instance, blues is mostly 12 bar structure. rock is a derivative of that. country, bluegrass, all have a structure that musicians know and can then play together well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

KSE songs aren't what I would call "simple" (they arn't to me, anyway! :lol: ), as they often have a lot of tremolo-picking and palm muting combined to give that 'hardcore' sound, as well as awkward timings and drastic changes in timing mid-song.

Try looking into bands who play in that genre (deftones, mudvayne, papa roach, linkin park, smile empty soul, seether, bullet for my valentine to name a few). Its often more about finding some easy songs than finding 'simple' artists or bands.

As dogbite said
being able to switch genres, like metal to soft rock, is made easier by understanding the basic structure of those songs

that, combined with lots and lots of practice on whatever songs you want to play.

As for TABs, I always use http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@shredhed)
Eminent Member

Mate, I know exactly how you feel, I was in that situation just a couple of months ago. If you've got As Daylight Dies I would recommend learning Break The Silence. IMHO its the hardest song they've done (and also the best). From there I would say either Bullet of All That Remains. If you choose Bullet you won't be there for very long because they're pretty easy. Have a go at the simpler ones like Four Words or Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow then work your way up to Tears Don't Fall. All That Remains are a little bit harder but still a logical step. They sound very much like KSE as well. Try and go for songs in either This Darkened Heart or The Fall of Ideals Behind Silence and Solitude is in my opinion their worst album to date and its in a completly different style. Six is an awesome song with a killer solo (but simple) but others like Focus Shall not Fail or Passion would also be good. You might also want to check out Trivium or Shadows Fall, Redemption would be a nice one to learn... I'm learning some more progressive stuff ATM such as In the Prescence of Enemies Pt 1 - Dreamtheater.
As for switching genres the problem most likely comes from whether you're passionate about the music or not. The skills you've learnt in metal are probably sufficient to take you through to other genres, it's probably because you lack motivation to play the music. As a fellow Metalhead whenever I try to play other genres I always end up giving up. This isn't normally because the music is too hard (when I was forced to learn All Along the Watchtower for a performance I managed to learn it but only because I had to) To increase versatility you could try to learn genres which are close to your own. (e.g Progressive, Alternative) but I don't really think it's really essential to play any other genres especially if you're in a metal band.
Any questions send a PM, hope I could help.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The Deftones - Seven is an awesome song. Infamous you have the exact opposite problem I have. I have only played mostly classiic rock and some blues and would love to start playing more "metal" type music but I don't know where to start.

If you have any suggestions on some easy metal songs I'd be interested.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@shredhed)
Eminent Member

@cnev some of avenged sevenfolds earlier stuff is pretty easy, Chapter Four would be a good one to start with.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Shred,

Song names?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@shredhed)
Eminent Member

Chapter Fours one, Pretty much every song from Waking the Fallen. The solos can get a little tricky on some tracks but you should be ok. Thats about as simple as it gets I think unless you want to play more emo-ish music like my chemical romance, which I expect you don't because bluntly put, they are crap. You could also check out Funeral for a Friend, they're a tad too whiney for my taste but they're easy enough to play. Bullet Theory would be a good one. When I started I played mostly Trivium although I could only play the riffs, not the solos.

To the original post, you could try a program called Last Fm, it's great for discovering new bands and has helped me a lot.

http://www.last.fm/dashboard/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_the_Fallen

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks for all of that, lol...Cnev- Start with some metallica or something, and work your way up to KSE, or do what Shredhed said. Thank you so much!

blah.

ReplyQuote