Classical names. What is this?

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I've been writing a classical peice whereby two electric guitars play in counterpoint, ocassionally going in unison. No other instruments are used. What would this be called? you know like you have different names for different types of composotion like Caprice, concerto, cannon etc.

(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Duet

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, duet covers the instrumentation. Other names depend on the form or style.

It's definately not a concerto (which has one or more instruments in a small group against a larger ensemble).

It might be a carprice - that's a 'feeling' name for something with a light melody.

It might be a canon, in the loose sense. A canon is a form of strict counterpoint - where voice 1 is repeated exactly in voice 2 at some other point in the piece. Something like a round (Three Blind Mice, etc) is canon form - it doesn't have to be exact; it can be done transposed to an interval (voice 2 being voice 1 a third higher, for instance) or even inverted. But since you have some unison passages, you won't have a canon in the strict sense.

You might have an invention, which is counterpart in two or three voices. Other form names have more complicated rules, so that's probably the extent of what it might be.

But you could use other 'feeling' names, similar to 'caprice' - it depends on how your piece sounds.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It might be a canon, in the loose sense.
So, would that be a loose canon, then? :roll: :roll:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

It might be a canon, in the loose sense.
So, would that be a loose canon, then? :roll: :roll:

BURN baby :lol:

So we got so far--

Guitar - Duet - caprice/canon - (insert key)

Should be done?

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well after looking up those terms up here http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/ I'm gonna call it 'Electric Invention in A' 8) . Though from their definition, I dont think it strictly qualifys as an invention, but hey, duet sounds boring lol. I guess its quite origional as far as electirc guitar goes so maybe i can get away with the name...Though who really cares? lol

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Think your songname sounds cooler anyway 8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Good link - worth keeping

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Simon: Sounds like a good name. I called a, probably, stylistically similar composition Re-Invention #1. Any chance we get to hear yours in the near future? :)
You might have an invention, which is counterpart in two or three voices.

Actually, wouldn't a three-part invention be called a Sinfonia?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No... sinfonia is actually the Italian for 'symphony'.

In the 1600s or so, composers used the title to designate an instrumental prelude to a choral piece (Bach and Handel used the title this way). Later on, it was a symphonic piece that didn't follow the form of a symphony, like the Sinfonia Concertantes of Mozart.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Simon: Sounds like a good name. I called a, probably, stylistically similar composition Re-Invention #1. Any chance we get to hear yours in the near future? :)

Yeah sure ill post mine when its done - Ive got all of one guitar done and half of the other. Im just waiting for my nu 8-track to arrive then ill finish it. I really liked yours, though its stylisticly nothing like mine. Mine is with distortion and is quite an up-beat tempo.
Its closer to something like Jason Beckers 'Air', which was the inspiration for it. Though with dist' like I said.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Arjen, have you heard of Andrew Byrd?

He does some interesting live shows involving a violin.

Look him up on You Tube. It's worth it!

(Also: so you're Sleutelbos! I loved the solo you put up for some guy somewhere. It was one of the reasons I joined actually, knowing there was quality like that around. :) )

EDIT:

And I remember the solo had an awesome pinched harmonic in. Any tips how to do that?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Noteboat: Thanks. Was running into different definitons. I stand corrected. :D

Simon: Alright then, hope it all works out!

Clazon: I can't remember having heard of him, will definitely look him up, thanks. And yeah, that's me. The solo is part of my 'album' that should be done "soon". The harmonic was done by grabbing the pick so only a miniscule point was sticking out. Then when I hit the string with the pick it's followed almost instantly with the flesh of my thumb, causing the harmonic. Not too hard if you sit down a few times and practice it. The cool part is it works basically with every note, unlike natural harmonics which depend on their position. It's also the only harmonic on the entire album, so don't hold your breath for any other cool stuff. ;)

And thanks for the kind words! :D

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

My pleasure.

I'm just trying to blitz some techniques at the moment, but I need to put some practice time in aswell. :?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote