Clear all

Cleaning fretboard

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, What is good to clean a fretboard? I have the strings off right now. Water, water and soap? I need to use somethin I have around the house. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

i love to use regular tire shine for a car i use Armor all like youd use on car tires and interior..it dont seem to hurt anything ive used it for a while! i also use it for the body as well really gives it shine!!!

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I use acne pads, I don't think I've used them for anything besides my guitar :D , they have a low concentration of alcohol so it won't dry out your fretboard, but they do leave a little odor, but hey!

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

it won't dry out your fretboard, but they do leave a little odor, but hey!.....that's the price of an acne free fretboard!

I use lemon oil, some people use 00000 wire wool (that's 5 0's).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I'm with Greybeard. I use a cotton cloth and lemon oil. The lemon oil smell nice too.

That reminds me of the time I put lemon scented windex in the windscreen washer of my old car. Every time you got within 20 feet of it all you could smell was lemon. Given that the car was a peice of junk I took quite a ribbing for that. There was no way I could deny it was a lemon, it even smelled like one.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Definetly try the lemon oil. That's what works best for me (The guitar usually feels so good after the oil that I end up playing about 5 hours solid every time I finish cleaning).

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
 kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

Lemon oil here also... and you can use the steel wool to clean the fret wires

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I actually use fretboard oil.

It costs a couple of bucks and one bottle seems to last forever. I've yet to make a dent in the bottle I bought and I've been using it for three years.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

I get the really stuck on dirt with a 00000 Metal mesh pad thing. Then I use lemon oil.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

After cleaning (00000 wool and lemon oil), Dan Erlewine recommends using "raw" mineral oil to restore moisture to rosewood and ebony.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There is only one proper solution, Scott's liquid Gold. It's elixir of the fretboard.

Try it.

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

Nick, i thought the liquid gold was for the guitar body, not the neck...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I find it leaves an oily residue, unless you wipe it really well.

I use lighter fluid on the body if it's really dirty. Then I wipe it with a chamois.

The neck I use Scott's and ultrafine steel wool 00000. You could also use a microfiber cloth if it isn't that dirty.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There is only one proper solution, Scott's liquid Gold. It's elixir of the fretboard.

Try it.

Hmmm, looks as if this elixir is paraffin, naphtha and carbon dioxide:

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~jsmith/MSDS/SCOTT%27S%20LIQUID%20GOLD.htm

Fancy lighter fluid.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lighter fluid doesn't have lemon/almond scent, now does it, Mr. Smarty Pants.

But seriously, there is something missing from that equation, because it has an oily residue. Could be the parafin I suppose. Although the ingredients may be similiar, it is nothing like lighter fluid in reality.

When they describe it as aerosol, do they mean how it would be ingested? I've never seen Scott's as an aerosol.

Anyway, it has to be tried to be believed.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2