Skip to content
cool jazz licks ove...

Notifications
Clear all

cool jazz licks over I IV V blues boogie woogie?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i wan to spice my improv up a little. what are some guitarists who are known for using wacky sounding jazz licks over a typical SRV type of blues rythem?

any songs for examples?

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Jazz blues don't tend to be typical I-IV-V twelve bar progressions.

They tend to to add alot more chord motion and substititutions, creating a different harmonic back-drop. So the licks that jazz-blues players use aren't going to sound that great over a typical 12-bar texas blues progression. The underlying blues progression will be there, but it isn't the prominent harmonic feature.

However, there are plenty of great jazz-blues players out there!

Early Charlie Parker, Lester Young and Count Basie (as well as just about anyone else from the early kansas city jazz scene) have a lot of blues based songs you can get ideas from as it was an important component of Kansas City Jazz.

A great modern day player who uses a lot of blues influenced harmonic structures is Al DiMeola, but honestly for his stuff it's really reallyl hard to HEAR the blues influence without looking at some written music. The structure's there, but he plays with the harmonies so much that it's pretty well obscured.

The ohter sub-genre to open up to is Memphis blues, particularly the Beale street era stuff -- which is more strongly influenced by jazz than Texas blues.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Don't think he's talking about jazz-blues, but jazzy-sounding blues.

No examples, but try moving between your typical minor pentatonic (or blues) scale and diminished (half tone - whole tone) and major pentatonic scales. With some experimentation, you should find it possible to a create jazzy or country or alt-jazz or alt-country feel.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

what's a diminished scale?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

what's a diminished scale?

A dimished scale is one that starts with a root note and then alternates between intervals of whole steps and half steps. You can start with either interval, and then just keep alternating. Consequently, you get two possible diminished scales with every root note.

Here are the two examples in the key of C:

C Dimished Scale (pattern 1 - whole step, half step)

C D Eb F Gb Ab A B C

C Dimished Scale (pattern 2 - half step, whole step)

C Db Eb E F# G A Bb C

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

alternating whole steps and half steps. it has 9 notes instead of the usual 8
1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 6 7 octave

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Maybe go a little chromatic as passing tones.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote