21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yes, my ego really is this big.
*disclaimer*
these are only my guitar related thoughts. i will not be including extraneous thoughts that i think about when i'm playing the guitar about women and other people who piss me off. if you're the type of person who doesn't like reading stream of consciousness, throw your computer out the window or push the back button now.

most of the time i am not playing the guitar. much of the time i am thinking about playing the guitar. i think about trying to make money with my hands and possibly voice. i think about musical ideas that i want to play when i pick it up. then when i pick up the guitar, one of two things happen. i will sit there and think about what i'm playing in a very logical manner. this chord to this chord. this shape repeated and morphed, occasionally like a drop of water on a leaf falling off into chaos theory. at these times, i'll get in over the ability to form explainable in words thoughts, but it still makes sense on a fundamental level... all the while feeling that this music is surrounded by darkness that will end when i stop. other times i just say,(<-i hate that comma. i'm done with it.) "hands, do something cool." they'll start up, warm up for a while, in a very straight up way. and then i'll kinda go "well, you're doing this, ok... wait, stop, go that way.. you already know what's over here.. go over there" despite the fact that i didn't like it much when music did that when i was a kid.... but i'm generally just a casual observer... or apparently an occasionally demanding one, my hands just told me... then i'll tell them to move around a little. give me some rhythms to move around to. then i'll kinda overdo that for a while until i fall into a groove i can stay with, then i'll explore that a bit. then i'll usually play something i've done a lot before, give myself a minute, get bored, and move onto something else.

other times i'm just reading or thinking about the aforemention women and other people who piss me off, or focusing on singing or whatever.

(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I want what he's having.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Other than the fact that you have 553 posts... What the difference from this and the normal spam that makes it through.

Get over yourself.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kickinstonesblu)
Trusted Member

Don't know you very well yet...but dud ask the doctor to up your perscription.
Spending to much time alone...thinking.....Off yer ass an on yer feet. lol.

KSblu

If I don't remember it....It didn't happen

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hah

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't actually think very much when I'm playing a SONG on the guitar - too busy concentrating on my voice phrasing, in the same way you can't pat your head and rub your belly at the same time unless one of them is automatic and you think about the other....

I only think when I'm LEARNING something new on the guitar - which is the easiest way, barres, half-barres, etc....

And I have to think while I'm playing lead - rhythm is pretty much a natural thing now, lead I have to think about where the fingers are going to go....

And I think I'm going crazy if I try and play a bass line and sing - doesn't matter how much I practise, or how well I know the bass line, my voice will follow the melody of the bass line when it should be going somewhere else....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Totally valid thoughts Jason, not that you need or ask for validation.

Like the thread states, it's your thoughts ;)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Jason,

One thing I've done to step out of my box, is to go and see/watch local live music, preferably in a Genre I wouldn't normally partake. I've found that I can get lost watching the guitarist do their thing, yet its so completely different then how I approach or think about guitar.

Its refreshing to find that. Other peoples original music comes from such a different direction than where I am at the given moment, (both musically and technically or mechanically).

I saw this guy on the street the other day do this bluesy kind of slap, buzz, thud thing with this piece o crap of a guitar, but it sounded really cool. All of the String buzz and Missed Notes didn't matter... I think he actually used some of those for his purpose, his message.

I was quite intrigued by it all that when I finally blinked I remembered I had somewhere to go.

Anyhoo.. what I'm trying to say is if your bugged with your thoughts.. go somewhere and zone in someone else's. It may be 'enlightening' for you.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I have other thoughts while practicing all the time. It's called A.D.D.
:D

Me too. Only in my case it's more like the beginning of senile dementia... :shock:

Guess we all have our own special ways of having our minds wander all over the place. It's just extra nice to be able to set it to music... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i like to play guitar while watching tv...im surprised by what i hear when i focus on a TV show instead, and i stop and say, did i just play that?

sometimes its good to get your mind off it

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

i like to play guitar while watching tv...im surprised by what i hear when i focus on a TV show instead, and i stop and say, did i just play that?

sometimes its good to get your mind off it

I can totally relate to that. :) It's a real joy to discover that you've reached a stage where you can finally play without having to watch every move your fingers make, and having a plan in advance for every step.

I'm actually reaching across my guitar to type this, as I often like to noodle along while I read posts. But I also enjoy playing while walking around, watching TV, looking out the window, etc. All those ways of sometimes "getting your mind off it". As you say, it's quite surprising what the hands can come up with when you leave them to get on with it! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i NEVER sit and read guitar noise posts without my Fender in my lap. ever

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

My favorite thing to do when I can't focus on writing my own songs is connect the ole' iPod to the amp and blast a few tunes. I usually come up with some cool riffs that spin off the song and then I will explore those.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

i just think in terms of pictures

a harsh riff = = skeletons walking

nice eddie hazel sounding light distorted melody = = bird flying or something

classically inspired arpeggio patterns = = count dracula

??? = = =???? for new ideas

Or think in terms of smells, nice warm major or minor chord shape = loaf of bread etc.

Yeah well it works for me so shut up!

That or I'll just play my bass, going back and forth between those two always gives me melodic ideas for the guitar. Most of all just have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

i like to play guitar while watching tv...

Noodling in front of the TV is a big part of my practice schedule. Never look at your hands, fix all the mistakes by ear, I think it's invaluable. :wink:

Don

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2