Clear all

Very frustrated.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, not because I'm "stuck" on something. It's because my guitar (Squier '51) has this annoying buzzing sound lately when I plug it into the amp. It might be because the bridge isn't set right...but I'd like to ask here before I fix that.

Now, roughly, how high is it supposed to be off of the...base or whatever you'd call it? I read elsewhere, about the thickness of two credit cards. Is this true?

I'm also pissed off at my tuning skills. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but what frequency should be Chromatic Tuner be set at? Right now it's 465Hz. I noticed that if...say it's at 420 you might be wayy out of tune, but at 465 you will be in tune. Where should it be set?

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I don't know about the buzzing issue, but your tuner should be set to 440hz.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wow. Thank you so much. The guitar sounds so much better already.

I experience a "static sound" when these frets are played-

G String- 6th and 7th frets
D String- 11th and 12th frets
A String- 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th frets
E String- 15th to 21st frets

But this is only on the humbucker/single coil pickup setting and the single coil pickup setting. On the humbucker it does not do it. It doesn't matter as much now since I rarely use those frets (since I'm still a noob), but it'd be good to get em fixed. It must have to do with the bridge.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The noise your hearing is "Hum" the humbucker has very little hum hence the name. Single coils are inherently noisy unless you shield your cavity. That's a little advanced for a noob but doable. Google guitar shielding to figure it out.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I forgot to ask have you moved the amp from a different plug? Computers/Monitors as well as Fluorescent lights on the same circuit can cause noise as well as an ungrounded circuit.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

One thing I noticed on mine was that in the cold weather, static was building up on the pickguard and I could run my finger along it and here some noise through the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

^^Interesting. It's not doing it today, the buzz noise I mean. Coinicedently, its not as cold today.

ReplyQuote