Cool new travel amp.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It's official, after years of dreaming, I am finally playing in a rock band.

I still travel way too much, though- and now, with three new songs entering the list every week (yikes) I can't afford to miss even a day of practice.

So I'm carrying my main guitar literally everywhere with me. And to go with it, I got this. http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/ I got the "classic rock" model, cause it was nearest what we're playing. (Sort of more like "Eclectic hard, sometimes punk, sometimes weird, sometimes indie, sometimes classic, but always ROCK kind of rock, really.")

I chose it because it was 30$, and fits in my pocket.

Turns out it's a GREAT little toy for 30$ though, so I thought I'd post about it here, in case anyone else needs a new toy.

Pros:
Great sound- and great sound range. Using the amp controls and the controls on my guitar, I can go from twangy countrified rock to grunge, and everything in between. Doing lemonheads, then AC/DC just by turning the controls on the guitar.

Easy to use- Plug in, turn on. Put headphones in ears. Rock. It's that easy- gain, tone, volume controls. (gain works like "pre-amp", volume is like a power amp.)

Really responsive- can set the controls high, then get sound changes by changing dynamic.

Has a line in for my computer or MP3, so it's easy to get the originals I'm learning playing into the headphones.

Seems to work okay with my guitar or bass.

Cons:
I'll probably break it sooner or later. It does feel flimsier than it looks. Especially the dials- really tiny and fragile feeling.

Hard to adjust on the fly. Seems to be designed to make sure you can't see the dials while you're playing.

I'm not crazy about this thing just sticking out of my jack. It hasn't been any trouble, but it just LOOKS like it could spin around, loosen the jack, or damage the guitar. (I'm careful not to move it, but I'd like it better if I didn't have to be.)

All in all, a heck of a toy- It's already earned the 30$ I spent on it by keeping me "home." (Or in whatever hotel room I find myself.) Cause hey, would you rather go out for dinner on your own, or go home and rock out?

Best,
Ande

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Hard to adjust on the fly. Seems to be designed to make sure you can't see the dials while you're playing.

I'm not crazy about this thing just sticking out of my jack. It hasn't been any trouble, but it just LOOKS like it could spin around, loosen the jack, or damage the guitar. (I'm careful not to move it, but I'd like it better if I didn't have to be.)

To fix this, you could always pick up a female-to-female connector for 1/4' jack leads. Then, you'd just plug your lead into your guitar, as per usual, plug the other end into the connector, and the Vox toy into the other end of the connector. Less strain on the jack input for your guitar, and you'll be able to see the controls.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

That is a great suggestion... my only complaint about mine (I have the AC30 model) is that I can't use it sitting down on a soft surface. On both my electric and acoustic, it is in the perfect position to hit the couch cushion (or whatever) and turn the dials.

I am going to run out after work to my local electronics store and make myself a little patch cable - 90 degree male for the guitar end, female at the other end for the Amplug. maybe I can figure out a clip or something to attach it to the guitar strap?

Something like this...

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I wonder if you could velcro it to your strap a la stomp boxes to a pedal board? Would mess with your strap, though, but if you happen to have a cheapie going spare (or need grounds to invest in a new strap...modify your current one with the velcro, and there's your reason to go shopping!) I'm guessing it doesn't weigh very much?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote