Solo! Help!!

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So, the "band" I play with is looking more and more like a band each day. Like, gulp, probably a gig in September. Yikes.

One of the things I like about this is we're all interested in different music, but open to playing a real variety.

One of the things I don't like is that this means I have to play a decent guitar solo in THIS song. And I don't know where to start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8NUIe3Dl0 ("the outdoor type" by the lemonheads.)

This is NOT the kind of thing I do. Surprisingly, my voice works for it (who knew) but I have never played anything remotely like this ever before in my life.

A scale? A tip? A clue?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ande

(@davidhodge)

Well, if you're doing this particular version (or a full band version that follows this one) there is no solo. Between the verses he's just playing chord arpeggios with a desecnding bass line - much like Friend of the Devil or other similar songs. If you want to do a solo to play over that part, using the major pentatonic scale of the key will work fine. You might want to use the melody as a starting place.

Tell you what - I'll use this as an example for the next "Scales into Solos" lesson and put it up online next week if that helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey- Thanks David! That would be a great help...

I didn't even watch the video I linked to, my bad. We're playing (more or less) the version off the album. (I have it on the "best of..." album.) There's a solo bit after the third verse, I think- just 8 or 12 bars. And about 8 bars of lead fill earlier that I'm also struggling with.

Much much appreciated.

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Not to worry - I'll key off the album version. Great song, by the way. Been ages since I've heard it.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if all else fails, just use notes from the chord being played under it, or hum a melody and play it.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Just wanted to pop this one up again and say a BIG thank you to all, and especially to David Hodge.

I've been working through your scales to solos lessons and am much impressed, and much improved. Thank you. You're a real teacher, and that is high praise.

(It took me a little while to find it, as I use the lessons part of the website less than the forums, but lesson 7 in that series was JUST what I needed.)

I'll be out in public (yikes!) with this one and others, and will be sure to get a video up when I have one. Course, that means y'all will have to listen to me sing, but it can't be avoided...

All the best,
Ande

ReplyQuote