Notifications
Clear all

DEAR LORD, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

22 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

An easy way to PINCH a harmonic is to just practice holding the pick's tip VERY close to your thumb and index finger and as you go down to pick the desired string LIGHTLY brush your thumb (I can use my index and thumb) and touch the string. And a bit of wrist vibrato and wham than instant screechy ZZ top / Zakk Wylde harmonic. Or! If Eddy Van Halen is your liking raise the pinched harmonic with a tremelo (preferebly floyd rose) and VOILA! What I like to Call Mr. Ed's Yanked Harmonic.

Hope this helps and welcome to GN!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I remember an old article by Zakk Wylde in Guitar Player or Guitar World (I think) and he called artificial harmonics "pings." Still might call them that...

Peace

I read the same article. It's in the september guitar world.
I loved the part where Zakk talks about Esteban on the home shopping network :lol:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Flashback has the right idea, but also move around the string up and down the length, certain places work better than others for certain notes, it also helps if you use a bit of distortion. What you are doing is introducing a new "node" point along the string just like a natural harmonic and getting the string to vibrate in more than just one axis, meaning that you are "shortening" the string length and it sounds higher pitched. You could do this on an acoustic but it would be very faint. I practice this on an acoustic until I can hear it then do it on an electric and it helps nail down those ideal places, I then work on "cleaning up" the technique until it sounds right, Keep practicing this! It was one of the more difficult things I learned how to do. I think there is a lesson somewhere here that describes harmonics and how they work, I just can't seem to remember where.

By the way, I just put my son's Slipknot collection in the microwave!

Ohhh! Pretty colors....... :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Ahhhh, artificial harmonics. I had never heard of it refered as in your original post.

I don't think I follow the pick with my thumb as much as kind of pick with the meaty part of my thumb as I pick. I don't have a guitar in hand right know, but I conciously try to strike the string with the pick and thumb simultaneously. It's also kind of a pluck or "pinch" feel to striking the string. It takes a little practice to get it to sound right, but it sounds like you have it figured out.

Good luck!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Thank you for this discussion. When I got home from work today I was inspired to revisit AH and recaptured a subtle technique which used to be a part of my arsenal. I'm not sure what thie technique is called, but I came across it by accident when I first started trying to figure out AH. I sometimes pinch the string between the flesh of my thumb and the pick. If I do it lightly I can sometimes get a little AH, but I also find it cool to kind of pluck it and snap it once in a while for emphasis. I hadn't done it since before my hand surgery. It was kind of cool to rediscover it. Thanks!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If I tried to do a split, you'd hear a squeal. In a high octave.
LMAO- at least you're trying. Me, no way.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2