Clear all

Difference between PA and Acoustic Amp?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@linda88)
Topic starter  

Hey people,

I've never really touched both a Preamp and an Acoustic Amp before. But seeing things on the net that an acoustic guitar can be plugged into either a PA or an Acoustic Amp. I mean what's the difference between the two?

thanks.. :oops:

(@wishus)
Trusted Member

PA = public address system. Alot of people plug their acoustic guitars directly into the PA (via a direct box) because, unlike electric guitar, a guitar amp is not a significant part of the sound of the instrument.

Acoustic guitar amps are specially tuned to amplify the sound of an acoustic guitar, while a PA is usually tuned to provide a flat frequency response in a given room. It is made to amplify vocals, bass, guitars, drums, and whatever else you plug into it.

A preamp, on the other hand, is an "amp before an amp." A mic preamp brings the very quiet signal of a microphone up to line level before it goes to the power amp which drives the speakers. A guitar preamp, in a tube amp for instance, lets you overdrive the preamp tubes and get lots of gain before going to the power amp section - so you can get lots of gain without a lot of volume.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You can carry your guitar in one hand, and your amp in the other. If you get a PA, you'll need more hands.

Also, don't buy amps made by the company "Acoustic" for your acoustic. I don't think that would sound very good.

If you also want to sing and/or play CDs or other music while you're playing (or between sets), a PA is useful. There are some nice small ones from Fender and JBL.

Have Fun!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

SWR makes some very nice acoustic guitar amps. Before you buy anything, try a California Blonde.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

SWR makes some very nice acoustic guitar amps. Before you buy anything, try a California Blonde.

Sorry, I think he was looking for amps, not a wife. :wink:

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@linda88)
Topic starter  

i'm a girl...i think i'd be looking for husbands and not wives...dont u guyz reckon?

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

You can never be sure these days. :shock: Here's a link. The little sister is pretty hot too. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@linda88)
Topic starter  

well, thanks for the suggestion...

maybe i can consider... :idea:

ReplyQuote