Clear all

Difficult bar chords

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Though I can generally do regular bar chords there are certain ones that become particularly difficult on accoustic guitar. I am learning a James Taylor song, here is one chord in it that I struggle with

E-2-
B-2-
G-2-
D-2-
A-4-
E-2-

The hardest part is the D string, which even if i can get the note it still buzzes slightly. Is it simply that I need to practice to get a flatter bar with my first finger?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@psychopathic_zillionaire)

well i have a difficult time playin bar chords as well, because i have small hands. somtimes i cant seem to get the strings you need to bar flat enough where you cant hear fret buzz. but try to find a different possision for your hands. if you know wat i mean.

Psychopathic Zillionaire

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Try bringing your index over the top of the neck a little more or drop it down a little. I think what is happening is the D string is falling on or near the joint of your finger. When you barre it, look at where the joints of your fingers are. And try to roll your index back a little.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike has it. When you play a barre chord your index finger does not have to be straight like you are pointing. It will look a little arched to people observing you. Also, roll your index finger very slightly toward your thumb. So you are not using the underside of your index finger, and you are not on the side either, but about halfway between the two. Hope that isn't confusing.

Here is a real good photo of a barre chord. Notice the index finger is slightly arched and also slightly rolled onto the side facing the thumb.

And here is a good top view, in this photo you can really see that the index finger does not need to be perfectly straight, you can also easily see that the finger is rolled slightly on it's side.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I would recommend to anyone just learning barre chords to use a lighter gauge string . Lighter gauge strings require less pressure to fret especially when you fret all of them at once . Later when you have built up your wrist and hand strength you could switch back to whatever gauge you prefer .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yep, that one is a tough cookie, but it gets easier with practice

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Cool I had experimented with moving my hand further up but I didn't know if that was technically the right thing to do. I can't believe I still struggle at times with these chords I've been playing for 5 years :oops: Anyway can anyone recommend some pieces to learn to get some good practice for barre chords?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote