Clear all

Do I need to be able to do this??

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am bad at explaining things, so I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. So I was playing my guitar and was playing a D in barred A form at the fifth fret. I play the chord with my first and third fingers and just deaden and try not to strum the first string. I started thinking should I be able to play a barred A where I am able to ring out the first string properly (with out playing a 6th chord). I guess I would use the first finger for the barre, and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th on the 2, 3, 4 strings - not in that order. Should I start practicing this? I guess it doesn't hurt to be able to do anything but how necessary is it?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Anything that helps finger strength can't be bad.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

the A-form is a fuckaroo, and that new form is good, and there's no reason not to practice it, but it seems that it's a very loose position, more fingers in greater stretches, and I doubt it will beocme more practical than just practicing the A-form, because that first string does magically begin to ring after a year or less of good practice

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The 'new' hand position has a couple of advantages: you can lift the base of your first finger a touch to dampen the high E string and get the 'inside' chord quite easily... and done without the barre (just four strings, first finger on the E) makes a very useful form for melody chord play.

Don't give up on the third finger barre, though - it has advantages too. For one thing, adding the 9th is a breeze: just lay that third finger flat across four strings.

There's also the mindset - the more chord fingerings you know, the faster you'll reach the point where you don't see the freboard as a bunch of chord forms, but as notes that make up chords. I guess at some point it's just mental overload... instead of trying to remember 150 chord forms, it's easier to remember the 60 notes through the 12th fret and a couple dozen chord formulas. (and before anybody jumps on 60 notes, that's 5 strings x 12 frets = 60; learn the 1st string, you have the 6th down so I don't count it twice)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I picked up something from my guitar teacher, he sometimes uses his pinky finger to fret power chords and even A shapes, so I used it and it's actually useful. I'm not sure why but i find it easier to barre my 1st and 3rd fingers for any A shapes higher than the 5th string. However, if I have to use the shape before the 5th string (meaning from the 1st to 4th fret) then I just use my pinkie since it's really hard to angle your ring finger. The key for me was that I had to learn to find the perfect angle for my ring finger to be at in order not to mute the string, it took some time to do. For an open A, I use all my fingers except for the pinkie. Anyways, my point is that there are alot of ways to finger the chord. The only problem with using all 4 fingers for the barre chord is that, if you were to play something like a D major with a F note in the bass (that would be the A shape on the 5th fret, the A string would be fretted at the 8th fret), it would be impossible to do this because you've used up all your fingers.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sigh.... I guess I was hoping to take an easy way out but both have thier uses. Thanks for all of your responses. I wasn't going drop playing the barred A with the first and third finger, I was just wondering if I need to add the other way of playing it to my "practice routine" - especially since it is awkward and difficult (but aren't most things when we are first learning them!)

Snoogans, are you saying that eventually I will be able to play the barre chord with just the first and third fingers and be able to play all 6 notes. My my ring finger will just be more flexible.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

Vee dont need no stinking barred a chords!!!..lol thats my best french accent..jus messing..i dont think it will hurt..as hueseph said..any thing to help your finger strenth is good..

good luck!

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I cannot think of a single thing you shouldnt do with your guitar....except not play it. Hendrix lit them on fire....

Kido

ReplyQuote