Clear all

do i or don't i???

23 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i've been playing only 6 months to the day......my game is just starting to raise....i'm good with open chords...my rhythm is picking up...my strumming is beginning to flow and i'm getting to grips with the theory side...i'm just venturing into scales and melodies.....all on my beloved washburn acoustic :roll:

now i've been asked if would 'teach' somebody to play their electric.....

i've said maybe...

now...here's my thought and i want your opinions please :wink:

firstly....beyond the basics will he learn or will it be a case of the blind leading the blind :?:

second and to me more importantly....will it likely hinder my own learning..or.....will it boost my own learning curve ie...returning to basics,seeing how i've come along and above all...boosting my own confidence and thus lifting my game :lol:

my own thought is that maybe an hour a week is not going to do me any harm at all and i'm confident that i can pass on the basic stuff and give him a good start

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I say go for it.
Teaching will force you to revue and improve your own basics as you teach.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree. Sometimes you learn more when you are teaching than when you are the student. I'd make sure they know you are a beginner from the start though, if they dont already.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I agree. Sometimes you learn more when you are teaching than when you are the student. I'd make sure they know you are a beginner from the start though, if they dont already.

Jim

Yeah. Don't charge them for it, but give it a shot anyways.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

remember in the karate kid when mr. myagi tells daniel to paint his fence? make this guy paint your fence.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sometimes you learn more when you are teaching than when you are the student.

I would say always you learn more when you are teaching. Note for explaining something you must understand it well. While you are teaching you will be learning and making clear for you the basic conepts. Sometime people teach in courses just for learning.

Go ahead!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I taught a Photoshop course years ago where I barely knew more than some of the students.
When something came up I didn't know, I'd say, 'We'll cover that next week'.
So I had exactly one week to find the answer.
I learned a lot!

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you're going to teach anything, you have to break it down into tiny pieces so they'll understand it...you'll be surprised how much you learn yourself!

When I showed my daughter some basic chords, I had to break them down and tell her why they were played a certain way - more importantly, I had to show her the CORRECT way rather than the way I played them - when she pointed out I was doing an A chord (I only use my index and middle fingers) or a D chord (same fingers, with my thumb on the 2nd fret of the bottom E string) differently to her, I told her I found them easier to play that way, but if you learn the correct way, it'll help you with certain changes.

The thing I wish someone had told me when I was starting out was the 2-3-4 fingering for the G chord rather than the 1-2-3 fingering - it took me years to learn to use both!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You yourself will definitely benefit from teaching. I'm not really sure about the student though, are you confident you will be able to fix technical problems he might develop from the start? It really depends on the situation, in the end he is better of with someone showing him the chords then with noone at all, just make sure he understands you cannot know everything.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I say go for it as well. Even if you can't teach him/her everything, you'll give them a good head start I think and the satisfaction of helping someone just doesn't compare. :)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It's a great opportunity. But make sure you teach how things "should" go not necessarily how you "do" it. I've been teaching two guys here a work a bit and doing just that. Make sure your student asks lots of questions. Keep it light and fun.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'd say it would be a good experience for you and for the other guy, well it won't be as good as a professional teacher but it will be a heck of a lot better than him learning on his own.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I agree with everybody who said that teaching is widely known to be one of the best ways to learn.

Provided the teacher takes their responsibility seriously and doesn't pose as something they're not (I'm sure we've never done that have we... :oops: ) it can be very beneficial to both people involved.

I've learned a lot just through posting here, and trying to make sure that I'm as correct as I can be first. In the course of working out an answer for somebody else I've also come across a few situations where I thought "Hmmm.... I'm not actually doing that myself..." and then worked on improving my own approach as a result. :wink:

As a relative beginner it also should be easier to sometimes say "Hey, I'm actually not a full bottle on that one. I'm going to have to ask, or look it up, and then we'll both know." 8)

There has actually been research that suggests that beginners learn very well from somebody who is just a bit further up the track than they are. The reason given is that the more experienced student still clearly remembers how hard it was, why it was hard, how long it took etc. They can also sometimes be better at giving plain English non-jargon explanations that fit the beginners current level of understanding. (How often have you read expert advice that was 100% accurate but of no use because you couldn't understand all the terms they used?? :? )

Go for it. Sounds like a worthwhile and enjoyable thing to do. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

go for it, but do like vic said, he teach him correct fingerings even if you find
a fingering easier a different way and show him that fingering also 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys.....you all kind of mirrored my thoughts on it....think i just needed the final 'shove'.....i will endeavor to pass on my limited knowledge....

oh and of course i'm not masquerading as an expert,nor am i charging...

lesson number one will be an introduction to this web site of course....

your all great people..

respect :)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2